MacBook getting slow and overheating

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by P140897, Mar 20, 2011.

1. P140897 macrumors member

Hi,

My MacBook lately has been getting slow and heated up quite a bit

I do a LOT of gaming on it and while I do that the temperatures reach 80° C and more, I am not sure if this is what causes the computer being slow or not, if anybody can help me by telling me what causes it and how to prevent it from happening, fix it.

Thanks in advance

Pietro

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It is quite normal for temps to reach that range and higher during periods of CPU/GPU intensive operations. Your temps are fine. If temps get too high, your Mac will automatically shut down to prevent damage. Many have run as high as 105C without shutting down.

High temps won't cause your Mac to slow down, but apps which consume system resources will leave fewer resources available to other processes, which will give the impression that your Mac is slower.

3. P140897 thread starter macrumors member

But then so if I restart my Mac everything should be back to normal?

4. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

This is not true.

5. GGJstudios, Mar 20, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2011

GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Actually, when you stop the app that is pushing the CPU/GPU so hard, your temps will drop. You don't need to restart for that.

What is not true?

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Heat negatively impacts performance.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Heat doesn't make the CPU or GPU run at a slower clock speed. It's the demand on the system that gives the impression of a slower speed. The CPU and GPU are running at the same speed; they just have more work to do.

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Incorrect. Moderns CPUs can and do down clock if temps are too high. That isn't the point though.

Even if the clock speed stays the same, the more heat the worse the processor will perform. Heat is not conducive to performance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_cooling

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I know some CPUs can reduce speed under high loads or temps, but do you have any evidence that Macs do? This thread is about a MacBook.

10. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Last I checked, they are running Intel processors. The decision to adjust clock is done by the processor itself.

Again, this isn't the point. Excessive heat impacts performance whether that manifests itself as a down clocked CPU or not.

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

80C isn't excessive heat for Macs. It's well within the normal operating range. The "slowness" that the user is experiencing is far more likely to be the result of system load rather than any negative effect of heat. If the intensive app were closed, and other non-intensive apps launched, they would perform just as well while temps are 80C as they would at 50C.

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Nope, A CPU will perform better at 50C than it will at 80C. Irrespective of the user experience.

I was simply correcting your statements. At no point did I attempt to make a suggestion as to what the OPs trouble is.

Consider though that a failure in the cooling system could also cause what the OP is experiencing.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

OK, exactly how much faster will the user's MacBook run at 50C than at 80C?
    My statement wasn't a general one, but specific to the OP's situation, and is accurate for their situation.
    The OP already said what is causing the heat:

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Do a test and find out.

I was correcting your suggestion that heat does not impact speed. That statement is not accurate in this world.

The heat may be abnormal given the load, which could still mean a failure of the cooling system.

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I don't need to, since I know that Intel's thermal-related throttling doesn't kick in until 100C, which is 20C higher than the OP is talking about. There is no measurable performance difference between running the same apps at 50C and 80C on the OP's MacBook. If you have any factual data (not just your opinion) to prove otherwise, I'll gladly stand corrected.
    I didn't make a blanket statement that heat does not impact speed in all situations. Re-read my post. I even stated that their Mac would shut down if temps get too high, which is an obvious acknowledgement that enough heat can affect performance. It's simply not the case at 80C, which is the temp that the OP stated. I was very specific in relating my comments to the OP's MacBook, given the scenario the OP posted.
    Now you're grasping at straws, trying to prove anything other than the fact that the OP was gaming, which produced the 80C temps, which are not high enough that any measurable performance degradation would occur.