Macbook Giving the Almost full when it still has 600gb left

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Murrtallica, Apr 13, 2012.

1. Murrtallica macrumors newbie

I've ran into a problem with my Macbook Pro (late 2011) where it was giving the "your startup disk is almost full" window when i have a good 600GB or so available. I scanned it with a disk scanner and it added up to about 160 used, even though the mac its self says theres 643GB used. I cleaned cashes ETC. with no luck other than a quicker boot time (Need to clean my caches more apparently) is this an OS bug, possibly a hidden 500gb file i cant find? Any help would be.. well really helpful!
    -Stefan

Specs if you need them Late 2011 Macbook Pro 17" with 750GB drive and 4gb ram Running 10.7.3

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:

3. Murrtallica thread starter macrumors newbie

It seems with scans and other searches there is still the mystery 'other' section that has 528gb used. Any ideas as to what or where these files are?

Attached Files:

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you read all the links I posted? The first one explains what's included in "other".

5. Murrtallica thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Murrtallica thread starter macrumors newbie

Still not able to track down the space consuming files. It almost seems to be the opposite - the space i have used is the space the mac is saying i have free.

7. Mumford macrumors regular

Download and run Disk Inventory X. It'll show you graphically where your space is being used.

8. Murrtallica thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually disk inventory x was the first thing I used. I've noticed it seems used space has been confused with empty space on the HD. I live a few miles from an apple store, so I might take it in sometime soon. Until then keep hitting me with advice, i really appreciate it!

----------

Oh forgot to say that inventory x shows I've only used about 150gb or so and the mystery 500 is not appearing.

9. Mumford macrumors regular

Not sure what more advice we can give. Any chance you can post the Disk Inventory X screenshot? Otherwise it'd be best just to wait for the Genius.

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

other are files that dont fit in the other categories. That's pretty broad.

11. Murrtallica thread starter macrumors newbie

12. markintosh macrumors member

markintosh

Idea

I ran into something similar....

Do you have any virtual machines?

I found that if I had a vm that I had devoted 100gb to, that was what it showed used. Even if the actual vm only had say 20gb used.

Just a thought.

13. Murrtallica thread starter macrumors newbie

I do have a windows VMWare file but it only goes up to 100gb and shows its at about 40gb right now

14. Mumford macrumors regular

Hmm, a VM image could be the cause. A lot of VM programs (VMware, Parallels, etc) allow you to create a disk image as a sparse file. They do this for a few reasons:

• space - if you ask for a 100GB disk, it won't actually allocate a full 100GB until you use all that space. There's no reason to allocate the full 100GB (yet) when only the OS has been installed (taking up 3GB)
    • performance - it takes a long time to create an empty 100GB file, even on modern disks