MacBook Glitches - help?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gensmileyl, Jun 7, 2011.

1. gensmileyl macrumors newbie

I'd like to ask for ideas for a few odd things that have been happening since I bought my MacBook in mid-April.

The strangest is that when creating a new message in gmail, the text splits down the middle and when I scroll up and down, the page moves as if it is broken in two. I tried to attach a quick time screen movie for all to see, but this isn't supported in attachment types. I did take it in to be looked at as it is still under warranty, but nothing strange could be found. In fact, logging onto a showroom computer, the very same thing occurred! But can it be fixed?

The other glitches are: application window open very slowly, often prompting the little wheel to spin for a little while. This in fact happens a lot, when switching from pages, or open internet sites, or just scrolling down a page, like this one.

The windows also open and close quite jerkily and hang and freeze a bit as well. I've even had the images of pages go completely frozen in techno blocks before closing. It doesn't happen every time, but often enough.

As I have said, it was taken in and tested at the service department where I bought it at "futureworld" in Hanoi. No anomalies were found. However, I just can't accept that these are "normal" problems that I should have to be dealing with from a new MacBook, 2 months old. (Pre-Lion, obviously).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

2. Detrius macrumors 68000

If you're getting the spinning wheel a lot, there are two likely things: bad hard drive, or not enough RAM. Use Activity Monitor to see how much swap space is being used. If it's anything other than 0, you need more RAM for how you use your computer. How much more than 0 will give you an idea of how much more you need.

As far as the Gmail thing, it's possible it's a browser bug or Gmail bug. Run software update or try a different browser.