Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Coonstar

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 23, 2008
Hello there. I just bought my first mac about two months ago, it's the middle model macbook, and I got it right after there was that little improvement in memory and hard drive space, which is great. I've been really happy with it so far, but I'm a little worried whether I'm handling it properly or not. I've been noticing some scratches on the glossy screen, they're very small and superficial and I don't even see them when I am using the computer, but I was wondering if it's not a good idea to put this (http://www.greenhome.com/products/housekeeping/all_purpose_cleaners/114085) microfiber polishing cloth between the screen and the keyboard.

I have to take at least 2 hours worth of transit rides from my home to school each day, and so the macbook goes through a lot of traveling. I've been trying to take precautions by placing that polishing microfiber cloth between the screen and the keyboard, and placing it in the padded laptop compartment of my backpack, and always putting down my backpack in such a way that it's my macbook's weight on my textbooks and not the other way around. So is what I've been doing so far alright, or is the microfiber cloth a culprit in this? It's not a big deal now, but I'm just worried that it would get worse in the future.

How do you folks take care of your macbooks regarding frequent travel and all that? Any tips/advice to share? Thanks!

windowpain

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Japan
Hello,
I think the scratches are caused by the keyboard hitting the screen, especially when there is some pressure on the macbook when it's being carried in a bag. There isn't a lot of clearance between the two.

After putting a nice scratch in my ibook screen when my isight fell off, I decided to buy a clear screen protector similar to this one for my macbook,(link is in japanese..but you get the idea, I looked for one on the US store but couldn't find one)

http://store.apple.com/0120-APPLE-1/WebObjects/japanstore.woa/wa/RSLID?s=priceLH&fnode=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/extras&nplm=TK788J/A&mco=NzcyNDY

It darkens the screen more than I was expecting,but also cuts the reflections by 90% (according to the packet). The effect is similar to turning the glossy screen into a matt one.

It can be removed without leaving any residue, so if i get sick of it no harm done. Its a lot easier than always having to put a cloth between the screen and the keys, but it affects the way the screen looks so won't be everyones cup of tea.

I like it and consider it to be ¥1600 (~us$15) well spent.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
Travel Care For a MacBook

Hi

iKlear travel wipes are a godsend when it comes to cleaning the MacBook screen and white shell when your on the go. I once split coffee all over my thankfully closed Macbook and it did a really good job of cleaning the mess (That was after my mild heart attack). I always keep a handfull of spares and the travel cloth for wiping it down after with me.

Ive never put anything between the keyboard and screen through and i have no screen scratches, i keep mine in a over the shoulder bag which often has office documents crammed in as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.