macbook goes into hibernation mode right after boot

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by pressx2select, Dec 28, 2008.

1. pressx2select macrumors newbie

not sure if this is a hardware issue or software but as soon as i start my macbook it loads into a blue screen and you can hear the hard drive spinning like normal, then it all of a sudden seems like it goes straight into hibernation mode and it doesn't go to the log in screen it just passes out and goes to sleep :(
    the white light on the front is glowing bright and dim as if it was in hibernation mode and no amount of mouse moving or clicking will wake it up...

at first i thought the batter might have died while i was at work, but after leaving it charged for a while it still does this

also whats weird is the fact that the green lights on the bottom of the machine aren't lighting up... normally they will light up to tell you how much battery life you have (this also happens when is plugged in)

i've tried zapping the PRAM and tried booting from the install disk with no success
    i've also tried to boot it as a Firewire drive to my mac mini with no results

i can't find a dvi input to try using an external monitor, but i have reason to believe that that wouldn't help the situation at all...

this is the first big problem i've ever had white a mac and i'm about all out of ideas i have so i thought i'd post here to see if anybody could help
    i tried searching the forum, but couldn't find any similar issues except
    this thread
    http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-222380.html
    but it doesn't really help because zapping the PRAM does nothing and its 2 years old and out of warranty without apple care...

any suggestions welcom :D

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Will it boot while the power adapter is connected? If not, try removing the battery altogether and booting with the power adapter again.

3. pressx2select thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm... well progress in the right direction taking the battery out and having the power adapter plugged but only slightly...

now it boots to blue, then the screen turns suuuper dim, like not even noticeable that its on, but i could tell from a glare that the apple with the spinning logo and grey background was there

then i could see a log in screen for about 30 sec if that, and it would go back into hibernation mode... then after a minute of pressing the space bar and moving the track pad the log in screen will reappear but it will disappear again and repeat itself :/

thx for helping BlueRevolution

::also when i have the installation disk in, the drive will spin for a bit, then stop::
    ::also of note, when it does display the log in screen i can push caps or num lock a bunch and the light will turn on for them, and use the sound and brightness keys but only for those few seconds i see the log in screen (its more like 5 seconds after actually counting) but then when it turns off the caps and num keys aren't lit up anymore, probably trivial but i thought it was worth mentioning::

4. pressx2select thread starter macrumors newbie

progress...
    i was able to hold down D when the install disk in the drive, but its suuuuper dark like with the apple logo before, so i can only see it from the glare...

for some reason the mouse doesn't work at all and i obviously can't read the screens, so i'm going to try and put my mac mini in the Apple Hardware Test mode so i can read the screens and see what progress i can get...
    wish me luck :)

::
    sorry to keep posting in few minute increments :/
    so i ran the diagnostic test on received an error
    4SNS/1/40000000: TB0T
    Pass Number: 1, Total Time Testing 2 min 55 sec

i'm assuming that error means i'm completely screwed...
    aaand found this thread to confirm it...
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=6814294
    ::

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is your MacBook still under warranty? Take it in to the shop. There's something wonky going on with your hardware.

6. pressx2select thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately its two years old and out of warranty :(
    i agree it is definitely something hardware related because in the diagnostic mode the screen was super dark, and i can't even get it to boot from the disk

i'm taking it into the shop today to see what they have to say about

7. aelegre macrumors newbie

Someone brought me a MacBook that is showing this same exact issue. apparently they dumped a glass of water on it...

I'm from the PC world so I'm not too familiar with MACs. The dim screen obviously looks like an LCD backlight issue and the fact that it won't boot while the battery is connected is a charging system failure but the constant hibernation/standby mode is something I don't see on PCs.

What did they say at the repair shop? Can this be fixed?
    I would expect that if the laptop was a total loss it wouldn't boot at all.

8. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Anything can be fixed if you pay enough money. Just hope the logic board isn't fried or the repair bill will be more than the value of the computer. Voice of experience here.

But yes, take it in as well. It shouldn't be too expensive to have them take a look at it, and it'll give you a better idea of what you're up against. The symptoms you're looking at could point to any number of hardware problems, which is why I'm not a hardware tech. ;) So while you two may have similar problems, the cause may be completely different.