Macbook goes to sleep randomly..???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by babond, Jul 21, 2010.

1. babond macrumors member

So as of the past two months my Macbook has the tendency to go to sleep at random intervals if not plugged into the charger. I simply press enter and it comes back on. It has the tendency to do it multiple times and then not occur again for a few hours/days. It seems that when it does this once it will continually do it at that time until i either restart it or hook it up to the charger or put it up and get back on later. Seems very random. When the computer comes back on it has a X on the battery that quickly disappears. I've tried my gf's battery in her macbook and my cpu does the same thing.

What could this be??? It only happens when it's not hooked up to a charger and to be honest at this rate it doesn't bother me THAT much but I'm afraid the frequency could increase over time. Any ideas what this is?

2. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Are you sure it's going to sleep and it's not just the display dimming? Because you say it only happens when it's running off the battery.. the power saving options have it dim the display after like 5 minutes or so of being untouched if it's running off a battery.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have a look at System Preferences > Energy Saver and see, if any of the settings could cause that behaviour.

You can also try an SMC reset, link below.

[URL="http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US";]Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)[/URL]

4. jmor macrumors 6502

The same exact thing happens to my late 07 macbook ? I have no idea what to do about it though :confused:

5. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Did an SMC reset help?

6. babond thread starter macrumors member

7. babond thread starter macrumors member

ok so worst case scenario the logic board needs to be replaced.... which i just assume buy a new macbook unibody.

best case scenario it's the battery connector sleep sensor. does this seem possible? i mean the problem only occurs when i'm not hooked up to the battery charger. that's the only thing that gives me hope it isnt the whole logic board.... that's a pricey repair