Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lilson4429

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
So basically my macbook works but only when the battery is out and it is plugged into an outlet. The laptop starts up fine with the battery in but will go into sleep mode about 20 seconds into startup. I'm currently using it without the battery in there and plugged into the outlet. When the battery is inserted, the mac immediately goes to sleep. and when removed it instantly turns back on. The battery is not defective because I have tried using a new battery. Any help with this would be appreciated. This is the white macbook 2.4 ghz that i have.

busyangel1

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2008
Philly, PA
Magsafe power board replacement

There is a very small circuit board in most Mac laptops from 2006-2012 called a magsafe power board. If a PMU (Power management unit) reset doesn't help and you have eliminated the cause being a small paperclip or metal fragment stuck in the magnetic magsafe input and all the pins are OK in your proper Apple power supply, it may need a new magsafe power board replacement. On the earlier Macbooks and Macbook Pros with removable batteries it is an inexpensive part to replace. i have replaced mine once and and a few friends as well. There are two different types and you will have to do a little research to find out which one you need as one of them has an extra pin. No charging of the battery or no light or wrong colored light can all be a defective magsafe board. Always use an actual apple power supply as the wrong wattage will damage this board over time... hope this helps. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.