MacBook gone mad

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MasterObiWan, Jan 15, 2009.

1. MasterObiWan macrumors newbie

I have a very serious problem with my MacBook leopard. I have fixed permissions with the boot cd and used onyx to fix system files to no avail. After osx starts up and a few minutes I get the beachball of death spinning, and I cannot get rid of it no matter how many times I restart.

Looking at the terminal right before the damn beachball there is a process called launchd which seems to be causing my system to hang. The funny thing is aftern waiting a while I can actually move the windows I have open but can't do anything else.

Does anyone know what in the world is going on? Please don't tell me I have to go to the genius bar

2. MasterObiWan thread starter macrumors newbie

I had terminal open this time when it froze and for some reason I can type into it, but guess what letters are missing like the p and the d keys. What happened to the error dialogs apple? I want actually be able to troubleshoot my own problems.

3. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

i would try 'archive and install' before any trip to the genius bar.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

5. littleg1 macrumors newbie

I bet the hard drive is going. I had the same thing happen when mine went out. The pinwheel or beach ball as I call it just sat and spun for like 15 minutes once the os loaded. Sent it to Apple and said that it was the HD. I'd back up your stuff now and go get a new drive. From what I've heard don't go and replace it with another Hitachi which comes with the macbook. Thats what I got again because of :apple: care. Can anyone recommend a better brand?

6. MasterObiWan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm back from archive and install and there has been no problems since...thanks for mentioning that.

Could it really be a hard drive problem? Disk warrior had no errors when I checked. :confused: