Macbook good enough for music compsition?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by iBunny, May 15, 2007.

1. iBunny macrumors 65816

I want to get an M-Audio Midi controller like the Oxygen 49 or something like that. Will the current macbook be good to hand that?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

some 21 years ago, i used my mac 512ke to compose, so... yeah, you'll be fine.

3. iBunny thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok just wonering because I know Music composition could be consedered a Pro feature. Just didnt know if I would need the extra power or whatever of the MBP. Also didnt know if they used different sound cards or sound processors or whatever. Thanks

4. PreacherKane macrumors 6502

I make music on my G4 Powerbook, so I think the Macbook should handle it.;)

5. StereoPair macrumors newbie

I use Logic Pro 7 on a MacBook, 2.GHz 1G RAM, with no problem, but I do recommend an external HD for storage and editing to cut down on the latency. a 7200 rpm is best, but I am using a 5400 rpm firelight.

6. Danny Futuro macrumors member

Macbooks of all flavors are the weapon of choice for a lot of the live-performance guys using Ableton Live. You can run any "pro" music production software, provided you stuff it with as much ram as you can afford, and a 7200rpm drive if you're going to be doing a lot of audio work. I personally use the stock 5400rpm drive in my MBP, as I do 90% of my stuff with midi and realtime synthesis.