MacBook Good Enough for Recording/Beat Making?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by pork917, Jun 30, 2008.

1. pork917 macrumors newbie

Im trying to help out a friend here. He is interested in a Blackbook with upgraded memory for sound recording/editing. He is I guess what you would call an amateur rapper hehe. He will mostly be using it to record, and make beats with. Im just curious if he NEEDS the mb pro for this, or if the blackbook with upgraded memory will be sufficient. Thanks in advance! :apple:

2. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

I used to run 10-14 tracks in Powerbook with a 1.67 ghz g4 w. 1 gig of ram. A 2.4 duo with 2 gigs of ram should be plenty. I own that now and it schools my old PB.

But I guess it depends on the # of plugins and tracks you are recording/what program you use. But either way the mb pro is not that much faster.

3. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Yes it will. Just get yourself a fast external HDD (7200RPM) along with a decent sound card if you're going to be recording audio.

4. pork917 thread starter macrumors newbie

Internal or External Sound card?

5. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

Will have to be external as the MacBook is a laptop. I believe you can get them built in in digital mixers. Just depends what kind of recording you're going to be doing, how many audio channels you will be recording simultaneously and many other things.

There is an easy to use guide in the digital audio section of the forums, I suggest you read that if you aren't sure of anything.

6. Pointbreakd macrumors regular

You do not need a soundcard unless you aren't using any recording gear...

I mean if he's using an digidesign/m-audio whatever he doesn't need a soundcard.