Macbook - good for Flight Sim?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by savagery, Aug 7, 2009.

1. savagery macrumors newbie

Hi

Having gotten entirely fed up with the sluggish performance of my pathetically underpowered Windows based laptop (an HP Presario with 2G ram) I'm thinking of making the move to a Macbook.

As well as the usual stuff (Firefox, MS Office, Skype etc) I'd like it specifically to be able to run some basic video editing tools (iMovie/Adobe Premiere) and Flight Sim X.

Two things that I would dearly love to have some feedback on if anyone here has any first-hand knowledge...

1/ How does Flight Sim X run on a MacBook (is it even available??). Not overly fussed about it being on the top setting but would like it to be able to run at least a little more smoothly!!

2/ Can't afford to buy brand new. Reconditioned is fine. Realistically what should I look to pay for a second hand Macbook.... and what's the minimum spec that holds up these days - especially with the idea of video editing/gameplay in mind.

Any thoughts / suggestions welcomed

Thanks in advance.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

Sorry I can't afford to go into much detail as I'm on my iPhone right now, but I'd avoid a MacBook if you are looking to be gaming, especially with such a resource intensive game. You might be able to get away with a higher spec 15" but that would set you back quite a bit out of what I'd assume your budget to be. You might get others here flaming me for saying this, but the MacBook just won't cut it. Plus you'd need to buy a copy of Windows as well to install so as you could even run it...

3. savagery thread starter macrumors newbie

that's really helpful actually - ta

I've not yet heard of anyone who can run FSX on any system at full res properly (on a laptop at any rate), let alone a mac so that's good to know.

How does it fare with the video/picture editing side of things then? I saw someone editing a movie on a mac the other day and it took him 45 minutes. Takes me that long to even get my clips loaded on my PC laptop!!

Maybe I should invest the money in a better spec laptop if it's gaming/video i'm trying to achieve?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I don't know about FSX, but X-Plane 9 runs fairly well on my Late 2006 MB.

5. iamkewl macrumors member

I have a Macbook Pro 13 inch.
    I edit home movies in iMovie and I'm a graphic designer so I use Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator.

No lag with anything :)