Macbook good for Garageband?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fblack, Jun 5, 2007.

1. fblack macrumors 6502a

fblack

Finally got my brother interested in buying a mac. He mainly wants a laptop to use for MSOffice and Garageband. Anybody have any recomendations? Does Macbook have enough juice and Ram capacity to run Garageband well?
    -Thanx

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Why, yes, it does. I use mine frequntly for such projects. It'll do it quite well.

3. WillMak macrumors 6502a

yea you can run garageband, listen to itunes, watch a movie, surf the net, do work on word/pages all at the same time with dual screens without a hiccup.

4. fblack thread starter macrumors 6502a

fblack

What kind of configuration do you have? Like how much Ram? Do you use an external HD (FW or USB) for projects or are you running off the main drive? Does anybody know if Garageband is MP aware?

Thanks

5. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

6. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

Yea, pack some RAM in there and it'll do whatever you want. Even with minimum RAM it'll run decent, but it might not be as smooth as your brother would like. Isn't it fun trying to convince people to switch to Mac? I'm in the process of trying to get my parents to switch, and with the Edu promo, I might get a new iPod out of the deal :D . Don't forget to remind him about the beauty of no viruses when he re-considers going back to Windows lol. Good luck! :)

7. MikeyTree macrumors 6502

Heh. I'm switching, and with the Edu promo, I'm getting my mom a new iPod. :p

8. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

MB + GB = awesome. I use a MB for all of my podcasts. Not sure about how well it handles lots of instruments, etc.

9. fblack thread starter macrumors 6502a

fblack

More macbook n garageband questions...

Thanks for your answers. It is taking a bit of work to convince him, that it can run windows in bootcamp or parallels helps to reassure him. So basically he needs to max out the ram...a few more questions:

1. 3rd party ram or Apple?

2. Is garageband multi processor aware? Will it take advantage of both cores? This could be another big selling point...

3. Any suggestions on a audio interface?

4. Anybody have their macbooks hooked up to a flat screen tv? He wants to try this. Any issues?

10. Frankf300 macrumors regular

Frankf300

I'm not too familiar with Garageband, so I'm not even going to make it like I know what I'm talking about :D . As far as RAM upgrades though, I would say to buy 3rd party RAM. IMO, Apple RAM is a rip off. Go with a trusted company like DMS or Crucial. No, it will not void the warranty. :)

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

As others have said, 3rd party works fine and is cheaper.

I don't use Garageband much but I'm rather sure it's been multi-processor aware for some time now. Maybe since ver. 1.

If you want a clean, compact system that is totally portable (you can power it off the MacBook's battery) then the PreSonus Firebox is a great choice. Six inputs and 10 outputs, with two Class A mic-preamps with phantom power, 24-Bit / 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96K sample rates, plus built in Class A headphone amp. Since you can power it off the FireWire port on the Apple notebooks it's great for location recordings. You can sometimes find them refurbished for ~$200, which is a real steal. Otherwise they run ~$300 street price. Oh, and it has direct support via OS X Core Audio.

Can't help you out much there. I hate TV. :p

12. fblack thread starter macrumors 6502a

fblack

Yea, I figure the 3rd party should be fine, I have some in my old macs, I'm just not sure what the experiences have been on the newer macs.

Thanks the firebox (or maybe something a little cheaper?) is certainly something he would be interested in.