Macbook good for Photoshop/Small Video editing?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SparkFlash, Nov 17, 2015.

1. SparkFlash macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

I am sure this has been asked but I didn't see a reply via search.

Is the MacBook 12 retina good for Photoshop and some slight video editing? Its either this or a MacBook Pro Retina 13 for me. Curious if someone who has actually used the above on the 12" could reply.

Thanks

2. SparkFlash thread starter macrumors 6502

SparkFlash

Found some threads related, but still haven't seen one where someone used it for the items. Any real world experience?

3. adonis3k macrumors 6502

no issues with PS here, not sure about video, depending on how much you can get the MBP if its cheaper I'd go for the 13

4. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Good real-world comparison video right there. From personal experience:

For Photoshop, it's very fast, zero difference that I can feel between the RMB and my son's MBP.

For iMovie, the actual editing part is very comparable, the difference is when you export the project to a 1080p file the RMB takes longer to complete it (if you want to call 15 extra seconds on a typical video file "longer").

Thing is, the RMB boils down to whether or not you're willing to trade a few milliseconds of performance for an extraordinarily thin/light travel companion. Many of us are happy to (raises hand).

BJ

5. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

The ONLY issue I notice with my rMB vs my rMBP is video export from FCPX. On the rMB, I find that when I export, I'm better off walking away. It exports fine if I'm not using the computer, but using it for something else at the same time slows it down. Probably takes 50 percent longer than my rMBP. But it is a very capable machine and the extra export time isn't a deal breaker. Could totally use this for my only computer, and I use Photoshop, Lightroom and FCPX daily.

6. SparkFlash thread starter macrumors 6502

SparkFlash