Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinderellaok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
i'm thinking of buying the mid range macbook, are the graphics (Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory4 card) any good for running photoshop cs3.
I won't be using it for games, but i do need it to be good for photo editing.
please help me

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Please don't buy into the hype.

The graphics card in a machine has next to nothing to do with Photoshop performance. Photoshop is a 2-D application and does not benefit from 3-D graphics accelerations (games do, and a very limited number of 3-D modelling and video production programs)

Given the same CPU speed, the biggest influence on Photoshop speed is the amount of RAM available, second is the read/write speed of the hard drive. Shared-memory integrated graphics makes a tiny drag on performance, but it is way down the list.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Macbook is plenty sufficient for photoshop. Load it down with ram and you're good.

There is no matte screen for the macbook, only for the pro.

spinderellaok

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 21, 2008
thanks guys
also i forgot to ask earlier, would it also be sufficient for running windows xp on. sorry about all the questions, i don't know that much about computers.

spawn135

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2007
i'm thinking of buying the mid range macbook, are the graphics (Intel GMA X3100 graphics processor with 144MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory4 card) any good for running photoshop cs3.
I won't be using it for games, but i do need it to be good for photo editing.
please help me

PhotoShop is a CPU and RAM thing. Not a video card thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.