Macbook Graphics Card

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MikefUK, Oct 31, 2008.

1. MikefUK macrumors newbie

Hi

Sorry if this has been covered in another post, but I was wondering about the Intel GMA X3100 graphics card: I shall soon be getting my first Macbook (the white one, not the new metal one) and was wondering if this is a decent graphics card (or why the new macbooks are using NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and not Intel)?

I dont know a great deal about this computer subject, and my use of the macbook will be simply for watching movies, playing itunes, running a few applications (mostly photo editing stuff) and surfing multilple web pages. I wont be using this machine for any gaming.

Will this Intel graphics card provide me with superb display and crystal clear imagery, or is it just pretty standard?

Many thanks

2. claimed4all macrumors 6502

Its pretty standard but you will be just fine with it. The Nvidia is a better card, but you would more than likely not notice the difference between the two for the tasks you described.

3. leman macrumors 604

Any graphics card will povide you with "superb display and crystal clear imagery". Modern graphic cards are more about 3D graphics, the 2D output is about equal with any model/vendor. Hovewer, 9400M will be a better experience, as it provides better performance/quality movie decoding and OS X visuals like image preview, Expose etc. (OS X uses 3d acceleration for it's window rendering). Anyway, if you don't game, X3100 will be ok.