MacBook Graphics Workstation???

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DHart, May 7, 2008.

1. DHart macrumors 6502

DHart

The last time I bought a Mac I wanted to buy an aluminum 24" iMac... but I just won't tolerate funky display issues as I am a professional photographer and need a great display (like the white 2.0 GHz CoreDuo iMacs have!). Great display? No such luck with the new aluminum iMacs. Anyway, my solution was to buy a MacBook 2.2 GHz (2.4's weren't quite out yet), load it up with 4 GB of RAM, pop in a Hitachi 250 GB Hard Drive and hook it up to a sweet new HP LP2465 24" wide screen S-PVA monitor. Also hooked up a few high capacity external hard drives for the mega storage I need for client images.

Here's what it looks like on my desk:

[​IMG]

I use this to multi task with numerous applications simultaneously along with editing large files in Photoshop CS3. Though this isn't the hottest machine to come down the pike, I have found it to be very capable and super enjoyable to use as a Photoshop workstation. It is speedy and a perfect mate to the 24" HP widescreen monitor. And with pulling just a few plugs, I can head off to the sofa or bed to surf the net, do e-mails, etc. in relaxed comfort.

Now I'm really hoping the forthcoming Mac mini revision includes an option with at least the specs of the current MacBook (2.4 GHz, 4 GB ram, etc) or BETTER! so I can use it on my desk permanently with the HP monitor and leave my MacBook for use when away from my desk.

If the screens on the new 24" iMacs were what they should have been, I'd snap up a 3.06 GHz model in a hot hurry... but unfortunately, Apple screwed the pooch on displays in the new iMacs... DANG that bothers me! And I won't buy another iMac again until Apple gets the displays right again.

2. GeneKam macrumors regular

nice, i very much like the decor! Love the classy look with a few teches!

3. aluminumapple macrumors regular

are you talking about the Glare?
    .. there is an anti glare product you know..

4. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

I have done something similar; I was looking at the 24" iMacs but instead with with a 24" external display and a MacBook. Design applications run beautifully and I love the portability.