Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VE3NEF

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Canada
Hi,

I have a macbook that won't eject a cd or boot up. I try turning it on, but all it does is make the start up sound and make grinding sounds as it tries to read the cd. All I get is a blank grey screen.

I've tried holding the trackpad and eject button on boot up, but nothing happens. What else can I try?

Thanks a lot!

VE3NEF

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Sounds like the CD may not be mounted on the spindle properly. You can try turning the laptop on it's side and gently shaking/tapping the computer...that may free the disc.

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
If that doesnt fix it, you could also attempt sliding a very thin, not-sharp piece of metal or paper inside to see if you can get it to "hit" anything.

VE3NEF

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2006
Canada
If that doesnt fix it, you could also attempt sliding a very thin, not-sharp piece of metal or paper inside to see if you can get it to "hit" anything.

Awesome! thanks so much. I slid a piece of plastic in the drive, and the dvd came out. Now the comp boots up again.

The gf is gonna love me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.