Macbook hangs at blue screen before login window

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by krees91, Jul 15, 2010.

1. krees91 macrumors newbie

Hi. After what seemed to be an improper shutdown my Macbook will not boot. I have tried using fsck to no avail. Booting to the leopard dvd causes it to restart. Flashing PRAM doesnt seem to help and it will not boot into safe mode. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. brassguy98 macrumors newbie

My macbook pro did exactly that about 2 months after I got it. It froze, so I forced a shut down and then it just froze in spot on that blue screen. Initially thought it was a hard drive failure, then was able to get it to recognize the start up disk, but had to completely re-install Leopard and overwrite the contents of the drive. Luckily I didn't have too much on it yet as I hadn't backed it up. Have you been to the genius bar?

3. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

I might recommend trying to start your computer in Safe Mode. No, seriously, even Mac OS X has a "Safe Mode".

Restart your computer, and hold COMMAND+S immediately (before the chime). Keep that key sequence held down until your computer boots completely. (When the command prompt appears, type "exit" and press enter.) If it is able to boot into Safe Mode but not regular booting, that means you have some piece of software or a Extension that is causing problems. You also may be able to see which Extension is causing problem if there is a freeze because it will be the last one(s) displayed.

If it's not able to boot completely in Safe Mode, try booting to your OS CD/DVD and choosing Disk Utilities, repairing disk errors and again to repair permissions.

-Aaron-