MacBook hangs before Apple logo

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by fiatlux, Jul 10, 2010.

1. fiatlux macrumors regular

Today I found my MacBook in strange state - battery almost fully depleted, very dim display (almost black) and unresponsive. I had to depress the power button for 5s to switch it off.

Problem is, even after recharging the battery, it will no longer boot: it hangs when the screen gets grey, after the boot sound but before the Apple logo.

I tried resetting the PMU and the SMC, tried booting in safe mode, but never got past the grey screen.

I checked my HD in another Mac - it is ok -. I swapped my SIMMs and even tried booting on a single one.

Anything else I could try???

2. fiatlux thread starter macrumors regular

SMC reset does not help.

Holding option, command P and R causes the MacBook to reboot but otherwise does not help.

I can't safe boot as it does not go past the grey screen (no Apple logo).

Tried booting from an optical disc (SL install disc) but still stuck at the grey screen. No on-screen instruction, no disc selection. Worse, I now have no way to eject the disc! I tried all the options proposed in the guide "force eject a stuck CD/DVD" and none worked :mad:

I'll let it rest overnight with battery removed. Just in case... :confused:

I'll call AppleCare on Monday. I'd rather not send them all my data. Can I remove the HDD or put another one (I'm sure the problem is not the HDD, it runs fine on my MacPro)?