MacBook hangs on grey screen - Apple Care ?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tex-Twil, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Hi,
    a friend of mine has a black MacBook and it stopped working. When I switch it on there is just a grey screen with the Apple "doing" but then nothing happens.

I tried some key combination to reset the NVRAM but it didn't help.

The MB was purchased around 2 years ago with the Apple Care extension of + 2 years so it still should be covered by Apple Care.

My questions concerns the Apple Care since I don't know how it works:

- my friend says that he just bought the Apple Care extension when he ordered the MB and that"s all. Does it need to be somehow "activated" so that the MB is covered ? He has the Apple Care box but he never opened it.

- Does he need the MB order bill to make Apple Care work ?

- The MB was purchased in France but he's now in Germany. Can we just bring it to a Apple store here ?

Thanks in advance for your help ;)

Tex

2. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I've just found this on the Apple's site :

can one get the receipt online from the Apple account ?

3. mattcam macrumors newbie

4. Mako5 macrumors regular

Mako5

Hmm if it is the same thing that happened to me then not good. Check out my thread Help Macbook Al won't boot Also did you try File System Check here? It did not help me but it may help your friend.

5. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Thanks for your links. I read several threads about this boot problem and it doesn't look good. It looks like he even can't boot from a CD so a FS check won't help.

What about the Apple Care questions ? Hopefully he has his MB receipt on his apple account.

Tex

6. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I dont think you need the receipt for AppleCare.
    I've never been asked for mine.
    I think when you buy the computer its registered to you (or in this case your friend)

7. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

ok. We'll go to an Apple Store tomorrow.

8. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

This might help Troubleshooting a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro that won't turn on

AppleCare has to be purchased AND activated before the end of the standard one-year warranty. If he didn't activate it before the end of the first year, I don't think he'll be covered.

Just found this page AppleCare Products Overview that state's in part "You must register your agreement before your hardware product’s standard limited warranty expires (usually within one year of the date of purchase)."

He can check his warranty coverage here: Online Service Assistant

Hope this helps.

9. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I read somewhere on apple.com that if you purchase Apple care with a mac, it is registered automatically. We checked his warranty and it is covered.

We brought it to a Apple store and they told us that:
    - they will try to fix it
    - if they can't we can pay 30 € to get the data back from the HD as they are
    - if the data are corrupted they will perform a deeper data restoration that costs 300 € even if they can't get the data back !!

I wasn't there where they told that but I'd like to know what happens if they can't fix it. I hope he'll get any kind of replacement. Either n new or a refurbished or any working mac.

Regards,
    Tex

10. impreza98 macrumors member

Sometimes the Apple Store automatically registers the AppleCare Protection plan for you. they might just give the AppleCare box when you purchase the computer because it contains tech tools deluxe and also the enrollment number for the plan.

If you call AppleCare, give them the serial number of your computer they can tell you if you have it or not. If they don't have it just give them the enrollment number and they can activate it.

Also, he can enroll in the plan whether or not it is in the first year. The agent just has to consult with the agreements group.

11. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

well, as I already said previously, this is not an issue anymore since we checked his warranty and it is ok.

12. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

To clarify, your problem is that your MacBook will hang at the grey screen? Do you see the Apple or spinning gear? If you have one (either the Apple or both) then all you need to do is reinstall OS X and you should be good. If that doesn't work, then it's a hardware issue, but right now it looks like a software problem.

13. Tex-Twil thread starter macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

- no apple logo
    - just a gray screen
    - one apple "doing" which repeats then in a loop
    - any key combo doesn"t work

The mac is now in the hands of apple care. Let's wait & see.

14. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Ok. A few things that are common to the portable line. The problem the OP is having, hanging at the grey screen (with or without the Apple), hanging at the blue screen (before the login window), folder with the question mark and broken folder icons. All of which can be usually fixed with a simple reinstall of the OS. Hopefully that helps others who read this thread and or have run into those problems.

15. nebastion macrumors newbie

Same as.

Hey i have the same problem, but i have spinning gears, i dont want to re-install, for i have alot of stuff i need on the mac...

any suggestions??
    thanx in advance.

Neb.

16. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Try the things here, :apple: Mac OS X 10.4, 10.5: Gray screen appears during startup, in the order listed and see if you get any positive results.