MacBook hangs with weird intermittent sound

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Arcarsenal, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Arcarsenal macrumors newbie

Ok, this is kind of hard to describe without a recording of it but my MacBook has this frustrating fault where it beachball's without warning and produces a really hard to describe sound every few seconds. The best I can come with to describe it is an "uh-oh" sound from around the keyboard area.

It hangs like this for anything from 2-10 mins and will be pretty much unusable in that time.

Has anyone experienced a similar problem?

2. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Is it coming from the lower-lefthand wrist-rest area? Is so, then it sounds (no pun intended) like a failing hard drive. I believe had similar problems years ago on an old PowerBook G4.

3. Arcarsenal thread starter macrumors newbie

It's just started doing it again and the sound is definitely coming from the lower right of the wrist-rest. Anyone know what component is there?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

The right side wrist-rest (right when you're using the computer) houses the hard disk drive.
    The left side while using the computer houses the battery.

5. Arcarsenal thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. Looks like a HDD replacement may be in order then. :(

Does anyone know how easy that is to do yourself? And also what's the maximum HDD size you can put in a white MacBook?

Sorry about all these questions. :)

6. broken-chaos macrumors regular

broken-chaos

Agh, yes, I meant lower-right-hand wrist rest. This is what I get for taking note of where the hard drive is when my MacBook is upside down with the battery out.

Yes, if it's the lower-right-hand wrist rest, it sounds like a hard drive problem. I'm unaware of anything that would make the battery make funny sounds, or that would make the battery cause system lockups.

What I said about the PowerBook G4 still applies - this sounds very similar, in terms of symptoms, to what happened when I had a failing hard drive in it.

It's relatively easy. You have to remove the battery, unscrew three screws, and pop out a panel to gain access. Then you pull on a tab, and the hard drive + mounting stuff pulls out. I'd recommend, if you feel at all comfortable with a screw driver, take a look at it before purchasing a hard drive (just take note of which screws went where in the battery compartment, as well as which way up the drive was if you're going to do this!). If you think you can replace it safely yourself, it is considered a user-replacable part on the plastic MacBooks, last I checked.

Size is whatever you can get that fits the drive bay. I believe most 2.5" SATA drives will fit - I can't remember the precise measurements, but you could always just measure the current drive and use that as a guide.

7. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Replacement is very easy. The hardware aspect of it can be found on either support.apple.com or www.ifixit.com. Any 2.5" SATA drive that's 9.5mm thick will work. I think the upper storage limit at the current time is either 640 or 750GB (due to drive form factor, not your computer).

Before replacing it, be sure to back up your data either to burned DVDs or to an external drive using Time Machine or CarbonCopy or SuperDuper.