MacBook Hard Drive Capacity Issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mal Reynolds, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Mal Reynolds macrumors newbie

Ok, I am trying to figure my Hard Drive out. I have a basic, white MacBook (13 in). It runs Leopard, but other than that, it's as basic as it gets. My brother recently got one (mine is a couple years, but mostly problem free) and his HD has 114 GB still available, with a capacity of nearly 150.

My MacBook currently has 21 GB available and says through Disk Utility that I only have a capacity of 55 GB. I am pretty sure it should be more, but what do I know. So I was wondering if this is something I can deal with, or something to ask Apple about. I would just like more space (despite cleaning, it wont go any higher, there is not much else I can delete), perhaps to add things or run a bit quicker.

And after all that, I'm done. Anyone got anything?

2. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

You can't change the physical size of a drive by deleting files. Capacity is 55 no matter how you slice it. So you probably bought your system with a ~60gb drive. Your bro got one with a bigger drive.

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Like dbdynsty25 says, you have a 60g HDD. That was the base spec on these computers until May 2007.

4. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

If you need more space, just buy a bigger HDD, you can get them quite cheap especially since you're barely using 60, you probably don't need anything huge.

5. jac24 macrumors newbie

Hard drive clean up

I just bought a 120g mac book and with all the programs loaded on it I only have 93g left coming right out of the box. Are there any programs that can be removed that arent needed?

6. California macrumors 68040

California

There is a small percentage of gigabytes that come off a hard drive's actual capacity straight out of the box. Then with programs and such, this number climbs.

I am currently unsatisfied with anything less than a 200 gigabyte drive these days. With Time Machine backups and the price of hard drives coming way way down, it seems ridiculous to get anything smaller than that.

I'd erase your 120 gig hard drive and sell it and get at least a 250 gig drive.

They are very very cheap. You can make a few bucks on your nearly brand new drive to make up the difference.

P.S. It is just a fact that, if you have a 100 gig drive, even before the operating system is on it, you'll only have like 93 gigs of space. Someone else can explain it but this has been the case for many many years.

I think ssd drives have overcome this issue but again someone else might know more than I do about moving disc regular hard drives.