Macbook Hard Drive Failure Followed By Unresponsive Keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by zetsuboufreak, May 23, 2011.

1. zetsuboufreak macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook that's about 5 years old running OS X 10.4. It seems like the hard drive failed and it's making "the clicking noise of death". My computer froze, and when I hard reset my hard drive started clicking, and my screen is blank after the chime. Eventually a folder will start blinking with a ? mark.

I wanted to see if I can peek at the open firmware to see if there is anything hopeless I can do, but the keyboard is unresponsive (caps-lock key doesn't light up). USB keyboard doesn't work either.

Any Solutions?

As a side note, I can't try to put in a CD because my CD drive failed last year and I've never replaced it.

Thanks!!

2. StockDC2 macrumors regular

If you have access to another Macbook, you can restore your restore disks onto a USB drive and run the installer through that.

This is a problem since your keyboard is unresponsive. Have you tried resetting your PRAM? What about the SMC? I would do both of these and if the problem still persists, try getting the restore disks onto a USB drive so you can run AHT.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

so you got a 06 MacBook i assume a white one so the very first intel based
    if you are very lucky its only the harddrive and not the logicboard , as those logicboards in the early 06 MacBooks went first , if that was not replaced in the past i am actually gobsmacked that it did last that long

good luck

4. zetsuboufreak thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks StockDC2. As far as I know I can't reset PRAM unless I can use my keyboard? Tried SMC and still the same symptoms. My keyboard won't work. I have a friend that has an iMac so it shouldn't be a problem to get the restore disk on a USB drive, but again it comes back to the keyboard not working.

Yes. I got my Macbook in late May of '06, and it's white Intel. My logicboard has never been replaced. So is there a possibility that it might only be the logic board and my hard drive is just clicking for that related reason? But I don't think the logic board would cause keyboard to be unresponsive? :confused: To be honest I might be happier if it was my logic board instead of my hard drive 'cause I have no data backed up like an idiot. =X

Would appreciate any other advise if there is any. Thanks!!