Macbook Hard Drive Failure?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lemccoy, Dec 9, 2008.

1. lemccoy macrumors newbie

My OSX crashed and so i decided it was time to upgrade my macbook harddrive and install Leopard. Everything went fine. I could read my data on the old drive in an external OWC case. I had to wait to install iTunes. I just got it installed, and now the external old harddrive is not working. It is a toshiba 80gb that now sounds like its trying to read but then clicks, sounds like the ball in a spray paint can. It does this for a while then goes back to smooth but will not load into OSX, doesn't even show up in disk utility. Any ideas? Thanks guys!

The data recovery guys are saying it will be $695 to recover!

2. StuBeck macrumors 6502

It sounds like the drive is bad. This is the biggest issue with computers, hard drives go all the time, people blame the maker of the computer when in reality anyone will go. Sorry for the bad news.

3. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Someone suggested in this forum that putting a dead HDD in the freezer for 15 minutes may bring it back to life temporarily for a few minutes.

4. lemccoy thread starter macrumors newbie

freezer no work!

OK I tried the freezer and nothing. It sounded a little better to start but didn't mount then made the noises again. Thanks for the idea. Any others?

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

Does your OWC enclosure use an external power supply or is it drawing power from the mac directly? I know it was working before (so that shouldn't be the problem but I think it's worth trying) but maybe the drive doesn't get enough power to spin up. Did you try it in another enclosure or back in your mac?

6. lemccoy thread starter macrumors newbie

desktop

I tried to put it into a desktop PC, and it didn't come up in the bios

7. bstpierre macrumors 6502

If you can put it in a PC you might want to try SpinRite. It does hard disk repair/maintenance. They don't have a trial version but they have a money back guarantee. They also have TONS of testimonials. You can search for SpinRite or try www.grc.com (URL verified)

8. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Is the drive powering up at all? If you can make sure that it is powering up then there might be a chance you'll be able to get data off, but if it isn't powering up its in trouble.

9. lemccoy thread starter macrumors newbie

the drive is powering up. i was told no software will work until i can get it to mount or be seen.

thanks