Macbook Hard Drive Issue

Discussion in 'macOS' started by gunlocators, Mar 30, 2012.

1. gunlocators macrumors member

My wifes 13" Macbook got screwed up today she placed a powerful magnet near it she said it made a noise and the hard drive is messed up. I swapped hard drives from mine to hers and it worked so i know its just the hard drive. On start up if you hold option it goes to a harddrive icon when you select the arrow below it it goes to a white screen. If you try to let the macbook just start up it shows a folder icon and never can go past it.

I have Lion on a thumb drive can this be used to try to reformat and install lion any suggestion is appreciated i figure i may have to replace the hard drive

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Sure. Just install the new drive and plug the thumb drive in before you boot. Hold down the option key as you start and you will see the option to boot from the USB key. Once it starts form the USB key just use Disk Utility to format the new drive then install Lion. After Lion is installed you can use Migration Assistant to pull in your data from backup (I'm assuming you have your data backed up somewhere).

3. gunlocators thread starter macrumors member

I got the old drive to reformat and install OSX No Backup lesson learned bt my wife lol I can say i told you so to her. I back my up via time machine to a a externalHD but she never had the time to back hers up..... :D

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This makes it all worthwhile then. :D