Macbook Hard drive/memory Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by danikesel, Jul 6, 2011.

1. danikesel macrumors newbie

Hi I would really appreciate some advice. My macbooks hard drive is almost all used up, only a little over 1 GB left. I know where all my memory is being used up, from Iphoto. So I decided to put iphoto on an external hard drive, but still not delete all the photos from my original iphoto on my macbook (because I still need to organize some of them ect.) . So lately I've been deleting A LOT of the photos from Iphoto, but my hard drive still says the exact same number of space available when it should be clearing up! Does anybody know why my hard drive is not clearing any space and what I can do to fix it? Thank you :apple:

2. samfoster25 macrumors newbie

This might seem obvious, but have you emptied your trash when deleting?

3. danikesel thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea yea my trash is empty (even though you don't need to check it when you use Iphoto)

4. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

First of all you have not given us the information we need to be as effective at helping you as we could be.

What size is the internal hard drive on your Mac?

What size is the external drive you are using now?

Also when it comes to hard drives (and size does matter) you definitively do NOT want to use up all of it's capacity. Even leaving just 1GB free is not enough. What many who are new or have not studied hard drives do not realize but the data on hard drive is dynamic. Meaning it grows and shrinks a bit when you are using your computer. Therefore you must leave room for it to expand and contract as needed. 1GB (depending on drive size) is far too little, so there is one issue in and of itself.

Everyone has a slightly different opinion on how much "extra empty space" one must have on the drive in order to prevent slow down, data corruption, or loss and other considerations.

Next I would (if there is room) move all the files you are talking about to the external and sort them there not on the computer. You can always put back what you want later, but I would highly suggest that you do not use your computer for "storage". I would think of the computer as your working device, but to store files that are not used weekly on the external is a much better practice.

Those are just some of my thoughts, in lieu of having the info I suggested we needed earlier in this post.

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

iPhoto has a trash separate from the trash in the Dock. While in iPhoto, go to the iPhoto menu and select Empty iPhoto Trash. If you get a message asking if you're sure you want to delete the pictures permanently, and click OK, you will notice a corresponding increase in the available hard disk space.