macbook hard drive not recognized after crash during partitioning

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by web_god61, Jul 27, 2008.

1. web_god61 macrumors regular

web_god61

I have been searching the internet for 3 days and finally gave up, besides buying another hard drive any help would be much appreciated. Ill try to keep this short.

i got Macbook C2D / OSX 10.4 / 80GB HDD

What happened:
    I wanted to free up space on my macbook, so I removed my bootcamp partition buy using the bootcamp installer to merge the osx and winxp partition back together. The installer froze for 30min and i decided to manually restart (holding power button). What a mistake i made, on reboot i only get the folder with the "?" icon.

Symptoms:
    OSX installer does not see a drive.
    None of the bootable linux recovery disk Ive tried can see the drive.
    WinXP, Win98 recover disks do not see the drive.
    Terminal "diskutil list" shows=

/dev/disk1
    0: untiled *467.0 kb disk1
    /dev/disk2
    0: untiled *219.0 kb disk2
    /dev/disk3
    0: untitled *95.0 kb disk3

aside from showing the boot dvd at /dev/disk0.
    None of the diskutil commands i tried work, erasevolume, zerodisk, reformat. They either say cant edit bootable drive or some weird error like -3400 or -5599.

What I've learned:
    After reading around it sounds like my hard drive is dead but i know thats not the problem and im 100% sure it has to do with crashing during the partitioning. Maybe partiton table problem? im not too familiar with that much detail about HDDs.

Im not too worried about the data because i have a backup from a few days ago. So any solution that may potential delete my data is a risk im willing to take.

Side Note:
    Ive had a similar problem in the past with my winxp machine were it crashed during partitioning and was no longer recognized by the BIOS, the solution was to plug it into another winxp machine and use some western digital magic recovery software. It fixed the drive, and i was able to reinstall the os. I dont have a 2.5inch hard drive adapter to try this (or know if its even gonna work).

Any advice would be great, im sure others have been in this situation, maybe this will be helpfull to them to. thanks

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

When you boot from the Installer DVD, have you tried doing a Disk Repair with Disk Utility? It might be able to recover it.

3. web_god61 thread starter macrumors regular

web_god61

Disk Utility doesn't even show any hard drive, its not recognized.

4. web_god61 thread starter macrumors regular

web_god61

Update: Problem solved, I bought a new hard drive.

5. eloisalopez macrumors newbie

How did you got your software back again? Cos I had the same problem and I also bought a new Hard Disk but my problem now is that my macbook doesnt have a program.

6. 123walter macrumors member

123walter

How can he run disk utility.....cant see HARD DRIVE

I love it when people dont read!! The man said his hard drive is gone!! Hoow can he run disk utility genius!
    You arent alone Kimo Sabe! And I dont know if it was partitioning. I have been unhappy wioth this macbook Dual core 2.66 (mid 2009) since I bought it. It beachballs constantly. I cant run more than 2 finder windows and itunes without requesting a relaunch.
    So I got fed up.(and fed up with people who dont read)
    I got a mac mini last week, with half as much mem and weaker processor. IT RUNS CIRCLES AROUBND RTHIS MBP.!
    So I went to reinstall(clean) for the umpteenth time. I wass tempted to Ubuntu the whole thing, but it aint but 6 mos old. Well, it took furrrr-ever to get to that screen with all the furrin writing on it. SO I clicked and went ahead. Went to disk utiliuty...Blank screen. NO hard drive to utilize. NAda. I proceecxed ahead and tried to reinstall anyway...Nothing to reinstall on. The straw that broke the camels back was this...right before I rebooted with disk 1. everything was frozen. Nothing would open. I couldnt even get Relanch finder. It just sat ther (beachball) spinning and a spinning!
    So I will be at Richmond VA store tomorrow moring with my MBP demanding a new HD. They arent too happy. Ive been there twice and they have abused me and ridiculed my notions of defective hardware."well if you would install yer updates...duhhhwhaddya expect pilgrim?"
    The worst part is last time, my iphone wouldnt mount and the update fixed it! I dont like to be upstaged. When I wanna be morose, I wanna be morose. So in a way, ina MAchivellian kinda way...IM happy. MAybe Ill buy some apple toys while Im there. Iusually do.