Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imac abuser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2004
Hello,
I have a 2gHz Intel Core Duo MacBook (Black) with an 80GB hard drive. I just whipped out, and reformatted the machine to the stock OS, and then did the Leopard upgrade. I did all the updates installed a few programs Adobe Web Premium suite, Microsoft Office, printer software etc. I have no music, movies, or photos on the machine at this time. It's basically a fresh install.

:confused: All these programs ate nearly 40 GB of space? That doesn't seem right. I'm happy with this machine overall (other then the screen size for web design), but the hard drive is way to small. If infact this 40.24 GB left over sounds reasonable how can I get a new hard drive bigger faster?

Can anyone recommend, and tell me what the specs of this drive are, and can I replace the drive myself or is it difficult (being a laptop and all).???/?

AppleNinja

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2007
ok so here is your problem one... when you upgrade there is a 13gb backup file for tiger... its just the way it does it... also don't upgrade... erase and install will cut down minimum usage of space... also when doing the clean install look through the menu's ... in short do the custom install and you can unselect languages if you only speak english and you can uncheck printer drives which arn't needed anyway =D

p.s. if you want to see a video go to youtube and type halos and leopards part 1 its by thecreativeone (very good vids)

hope this helps

p.s. 80gb is still to small but if you don't have cash right now that should give you and extra 20gb...

-appleninja:apple:

Rotary8

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2006
Hello,
I have a 2gHz Intel Core Duo MacBook (Black) with an 80GB hard drive. I just whipped out, and reformatted the machine to the stock OS, and then did the Leopard upgrade. I did all the updates installed a few programs Adobe Web Premium suite, Microsoft Office, printer software etc. I have no music, movies, or photos on the machine at this time. It's basically a fresh install.

:confused: All these programs ate nearly 40 GB of space? That doesn't seem right. I'm happy with this machine overall (other then the screen size for web design), but the hard drive is way to small. If infact this 40.24 GB left over sounds reasonable how can I get a new hard drive bigger faster?

Can anyone recommend, and tell me what the specs of this drive are, and can I replace the drive myself or is it difficult (being a laptop and all).???/?

Macsales.com will guide you into getting the right drive. That's where i got my 200 gig 7200rpm drive. Very easy to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.