MacBook Hard Drive replacement problem...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mjmar, Aug 29, 2009.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Yesterday I took out the 160gb. hard drive that came in my mac and installed a 500gb. western digital hd in its place. The installation of Snow Leopard went well and time machine worked perfectly for restoring my data. Everything seems to be working fine, but I am hearing a funny noise coming from the area where the hard drive is. I know that hard drives are supposed to make faint noises due to the spinning, but this is different. It's loud enough to hear over a song playing in iTunes. In the reviews for the hard drive people said it was quieter than their original MacBook HD. Could I have possibly done something wrong in the installation? I'm not sure if I should go through the trouble of opening my MacBook up again...

2. ryans79 macrumors regular

can you describe the noise?
    is it squeaking or clicking?

3. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Yes you should. If the drive was installed properly and it's still making noise, that means it's faulty and you should replace it ASAP.

If the old drive had rubber bumpers attached, be sure to check if you've transferred them over properly to the new drive.

4. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

It's a spinning noise, but it sounds like it's scratching against something.

5. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

6. ryans79 macrumors regular

Scratching,squeaking or clicking is not good...
    if you have checked and made sure you installed it correctly like BR above asked you to, I would advise you to take it back, and get a new piece.

Its a bit of a PITA to reinstall everything but beats the crap out of you losing your stuff in a crash later on.

My $0.02