Macbook Hard Drive Replacement Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mr. Monsieur, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Hey folks!

I'm looking to upgrade my Macbook's hard drive and am on the cusp of ordering this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ebooks+/+Laptops-_-Western+Digital-_-22136197

Can anyone confirm that this is going to work? I found more information on the drive here:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/Products.asp?DriveID=377#jump44

where it notes that the drive is, in fact, 9.5mm in height. My main concern is that it is "3.0Gb/s". I have no idea whether or not I should be concerned about this, but all info on replacing the hard drive refers to the number "2.5"

My apologies if I seem ridiculous...I'm pretty much flailing around in the dark with this, though. (Speaking of which...would it really have been that difficult for Apple to have provided a bit more specific info on this...sheesh!)

Thanks in advance!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It'll work if it's 9.5mm tall. The 2.5 that we all refer to is 2.5", the platter size. The 3.0GB/s refers to the interface speed. That means it SATA II (which is fine).

3. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

That drive will work. Better yet why not buy a Western Digital Passport Essential external HD, that when you can clone your mac to the external drive. This will make it a bootable external disk. You can then take the hard drive out of the external case and put it in your macbook. Then with the old drive stick it back in the case and volia you have a external drive. I bought the same external hd for 119.99 last sunday at bestbuy and did the same thing. Worked like a champ and did not have to reinstall anything.

4. stone315 macrumors regular

Or just buy an enclosure for your hard drive. Look around for recommendations, there have been a lot of threads on this topic recently.

5. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

That my be true but why spend 30 + shipping when he could just buy the external drive for 119.99 which is the hd and the drive. That way he is not spending 109.99 in hd and 30 on case plus shipping on both.

6. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

7. Mr. Monsieur thread starter macrumors 6502