Macbook Hard Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Puzzlehead, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Puzzlehead macrumors newbie

My 08 white MacBook's HDD just died or is dying i turned it on and all i got was a flashing folder with a question mark and i can hear the Hard drive clicking when i turn it on, so i figure it's on it's way out so i figured i would try Target Disk Mode not realizing that the only macbook i had didn't have a firewire port so my questions are

1.if i take the Hard drive out and put it in a usb HDD enclosure would i have a chance of recovery atleast some of the data?

2.Could i remove the hard drive that is dying and hold on to until i figure what to do with it and install a new hdd on the macbook?

I would love to try DiskWarrior but right now i just can't afford it, does any have any better ideas or opinions?

2. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

The HDD is likely completely dead. Just get a new one and you will be on your way. If you must try, get a USB 2.5" SATA drive enclosure and test it.

3. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Put it in a freezer overnight (in a baggie so there is not a chance of moisture getting into it). Then hook it up via a USB HDD enclosure and it should stay alive long enough for you to get the data off. This is a well known trick and I have used it dozens of times over the years to recover data from "clicky" hard drives.