Macbook Hard Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Zandramas, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Zandramas macrumors newbie

Hi there,

My girlfriend's Macbook's hard-drive failed yesterday. She took it to the Apple store to see if she could get a replacement one but the ones they offer are quite expensive (starting at $145) so I figured I can get something cheaper for her from newegg.com. I've searched a bit and she apparently wants to get one of the cheaper ones but I have a couple of questions - I know a bit about comps but I figure I should ask just to be safe before buying. The HDD she's considering is this one, mostly because of the price. I tried to convince her to either get a larger one (she's was living on an 80GB HDD so even 160GB, for her, is large) or to just get a new Macbook (she really wants one but won't justify it for just an HDD failure).

1) I know the HDD has to be 9.5mm tall or less but I can't find specs on this one... anyone know if it'll be fine?
    2) Her Macbook is an old one (first revision from when the new Intel Macbooks first came out) so I was wondering if there was anything special that needed to be taken into consideration or not. I don't think so, but I'm just making sure.

Finally, does anyone have advice on how to look for a reputable data recovery place for the failed HDD? The guy at the Apple store recommended a few but I just thought I should ask. And the answer to the inevitable "Doesn't she do back-ups?" question is apparently no - but I bet you she will after this! She's even looking for an external HDD on which to back-up. Haha.

Thanks in advance for any answers, advice or suggestions,

Z

2. simsaladimbamba

3. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Not a bad looking drive, but seriously, for another $6 you can get a 320 Gb. Why wouldn't you? :confused:

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009