MacBook Hard Drive Replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SisterRay, Jul 22, 2007.

1. SisterRay macrumors regular

Please forgive me if this has been posted before

I am currently upgrading my MacBook 2Ghz Core Duo. I've just bought 2Gb of Ram and want to upgrade my 80Gb hard drive. I want to upgrade to 160GB so I can use boot camp. I am in the UK.

So I need your advice on what to buy and where to buy it from on-line

All help appriciated

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Pick one. ;)

BTW, I've upgraded mine to a Toshiba 200GB@4200 disk, and even though I'm happy with that, for now, I've already started to consider going for Samsung's 250GB@5400 disk...

mmm... space... mmm...

3. SisterRay thread starter macrumors regular

So the macbook can take any 2.5 inch SATA HDD. Will they all fit in OK?

Which one is the best?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Yes... only make sure they are not over 9.5 mm in height (though I haven't seen a 12.5 mm disk in years).

Now, that is another question...

In general: I traditionally prefer Seagate drives, but since both Samsung and WD have 250 GB disks out, and Seagate don't (yet), well...

Then there's the whole 4200 vs 5400 vs 7200 RPM debate... and I will always prefer space over speed when it comes to portable computers, and test have shown that, once you start filling those disks up, having free space actually makes them faster than higher RPM ones...

5. SisterRay thread starter macrumors regular

Thing about getting this Seagate 160Gb HD http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.aspx?sku=331986.

Has anyone else installed this in a macbook?

Also can anyone give me links about how I would go about installing the software one the new disk

Thanks

6. john2006wright macrumors regular

sorry if this is obvious to you guys, but can somebody tell me what the difference would be between upgrading the internal rather than adding an external. Is the external difficult to access or sync. I would like to more space but dont know how to use an external.

thanks

7. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

You just plug in the USB or FireWire from the drive to your computer, plug the drive into the wall (if it came with a plug) and you can just put stuff on it. The thing is that it's not inside your computer, it's a separate device.

8. SisterRay thread starter macrumors regular

If I get a 160 Gb HD, how much space will there be once the disk is formatted and the OS is installed?