MacBook Hard Drive Swap

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CARuggs, Jan 3, 2015.

1. CARuggs macrumors newbie

I have the following task in front of me that I am having a problem completing. I have an old MacBook that is in great shape. 2007 model 13.3" that has a hard drive of only 120GB. Memory I upgraded to 4GB. It is running on Lion 10.7. My wife's MacBook Pro had a fatal accident but the new 500GB hard drive is just fine. This hard drive is running on 10.9. I thought it would be as easy as just switching the hard drives and my MacBook would start with her data. I did this and I am not having any success. When I start my MacBook with the new hard drive I only get the flashing question mark appearing on the screen. I know the new hard drive is good. I placed it in a hard drive enclosure and I can find it and access it so it is fine. I place my old hard drive in this enclosure and attach it to my MacBook it boots up fine and runs off of this drive. I have a current back up in time machine so I feel that once I get this running I can restore my old data. What do I have to do to get the new hard drive to become recognized? Do I need to use a start up disc? I can not locate my start disc so I hope there is another option. Any help would be appreciated greatly.
    Chris

2. OneAnswer macrumors member

3. CARuggs thread starter macrumors newbie

That makes sense. Well, time to format and start fresh.