macbook hard drive swap?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Kalafut, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Kalafut macrumors regular

Kalafut

ok i have macbook, and i was thinking of buying a larger hard drive for it, how would i copy everything (all my programs) and os if possible over to the new one, can i backup with time machine then reinstall osx leopard on to the new HD, then reload using time machine?

2. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

If use TM to restore to new drive .. then select the option in install process on the dvd..

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, do you have an external hard drive case (2.5") you could house it in? Alternatively, do you have another medium to keep the data in temporarily?

4. Kalafut thread starter macrumors regular

Kalafut

i have an external hard drive, but i have a bunch of windows stuff on it and in order to us TM i have to reformat the drive, which will erase everything on external, and i dint want to do that, so if i right click on my Macintosh HD icon and click copy macintosh HD, if i copy it to my external will it copy everything, including the os?

5. jjasonwrght macrumors member

jjasonwrght

Why not partition a part of the drive with a partition software that will allow you to keep all the already saved stuff on the other part of the drive? Then you just use a drive copier, which I think one of them is calle CarbonCopyCloner, but I think there is a better one...I just can't remember the name.;)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I second the notion of using Carbon Copy Cloner with a partition on your external drive.

7. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I used time machine when I upgraded my hard drive from 120GB to 250GB, it was quick and painless. You cannot just "copy" the hdd and paste it somewhere else and expect it to work. Another option, as a few have stated, is Carbon Copy Cloner

8. Kalafut thread starter macrumors regular

Kalafut

well actually just bought a 120gb HDD 7200 rpm's and a 2.4 HDD case i can house my old one in.

thanks for your help

9. skwij macrumors 6502

I just did this on the weekend, added a 250Gig HDD to the Macbook.

Placed the 80G into an external drive enclosure, re-installed Leopard onto the new HD (internal).

The external was plugged in and powered up while doing this, so when prompted in the Leo Install, I selected to migrate info FROM ANOTHER VOLUME, which was the External (old HDD). All users, info, Apps, app support, etc migrated over just fine. All passwords, keychains, settings, plugins, etc also migrated over just fine.

Which reminds me, I need to update my sig ;)

10. Kalafut thread starter macrumors regular

Kalafut

That is exactly what i am doing, just as soon has UPS decides to deliver my HDD

11. nevakida macrumors newbie

I'm sure you've solved this problem but i had to do a fairly similar thing this week in regards to installing a 250GB into my MacBook to replace the 120GB it came with so i thought it might be useful to post it for reference.
    This is how i did it...

1.) Insert the original (untouched) 120GB SATA into a 2.5" enclosure
    2.) Install the new HD into the MB
    3.) Boot up from the External HD 120
    4.) ***IMPORTANT*** Format the internal 250 HD as GUID in disk utility
    5.) Using Carbon Copy Cloner (preferable to Super Duper as SD seems to stall around the 8GB mark repeatedly) Clone the external to the internal 250GB
    6.) Install Leopard from DVD
    7.) Update like your life depended on it :)

12. Kalafut thread starter macrumors regular

Kalafut

i don't understand?

why cant i

1. put old HDD into enclosure
    2. put new HDD into macbook
    3.install leopard onto new HDD then migrated from the external

why wont that work?
    why do i have to format?

13. skwij macrumors 6502

You can do it the way you're thinking of, you just have to format the new drive before installing Leopard on it, is all. You have to do that with ANY new harddrive.

Once you boot up from the Install DVD, go to UTILITIES in the menu bar and select the NEW drive, and format it. Then exit UTILITIES and proceed with the install. When prompted in the installation, migrate your user settings from the "old" harddrive into the new, internal one.