Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SeanEE89

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2008
VA, United States
When I get my MacBook at the end of the month I plan on installing a 320GB Samsung Hard Drive into the MacBook. I was just wondering to reinstall Mac OSX will the laptop come with the disc to reinstall it and if it does and I use it will it be like starting it up for the first time?

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
Sure will. Clean OS install will be like opening up the Mac for the first time.

eyedoc_00

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2005
When you upgrade the hard drive, do you have to have OSX installed before placing it in the MacBook or do you start it up and put in the install disk and install OSX?

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
When I get my MacBook at the end of the month I plan on installing a 320GB Samsung Hard Drive into the MacBook. I was just wondering to reinstall Mac OSX will the laptop come with the disc to reinstall it and if it does and I use it will it be like starting it up for the first time?

If you're in the States and close to a Best Buy, go over and buy a Western Digital 320G external right now. They're on sale for $149.00, and you get an enclosure you can pop your old drive in as part of a deal as well.

MacDann

BossofMASS

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Earth
Depends, theres a way to transfer the files using an external hd, so when you do open it, its exactly the same as before :)

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Depends, theres a way to transfer the files using an external hd, so when you do open it, its exactly the same as before :)

1.) Install new HD

2.) Boot with OS DVD/CD-ROM and install OS

3.) Put old drive in external enclosure

4.) Boot MBP with new HD installed and respond to setup prompts

5.) When asked if you want to import data from another machine, point it at the external drive.

6.) Import apps/data, etc.

7.) Find something to occupy your time for a while.

8.) When done, try out your apps and make sure everything works.

I am pretty sure you can do this with a USB external, but check to make sure. I prefer to use FireWire myself, but I seem to recall having done it with USB drives in Tiger.

I know that some have reported problems with the migration wizard, but I have used it numerous times and never had a problem. Worst case scenario you have to manually install an app or move the data over from the old drive. Big deal.

MacDann

nerdeus

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
I am thinking about upgrading my hard drive as well.
I do not have a Firewire external hard drive.. only USB. Is that ok?

And where do I get an enclosure? What exactly IS an enclosure? (sorry I'm so new to this hardware stuff..)

l4t13

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006

And where do I get an enclosure? What exactly IS an enclosure? (sorry I'm so new to this hardware stuff..)

Use the external enclosure that you took the hard drive from.

nerdeus

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Use the external enclosure that you took the hard drive from.

So... I have my original external hard drive? Take it apart? And put my MacBook hard drive in the external hard drive's case? and it should work?
I hope I'm understanding you correctly..

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.

And where do I get an enclosure? (sorry I'm so new to this hardware stuff..)

I just did this last week so I speak with the voice of experience.

I bought an external 250Gb drive (mine was FW but it doesn't matter it can be USB).

Using the latest version of super-Duper (free, but if you're running Leopard, make sure you get the latest one, the earlier one doesn't work).

Plug in the external drive and run Super-Duper, backing up the whole drive to it and making it the bootable drive when it's finished (that's a Super-Duper option).

When it's finished, shut everything down and unplug it all.

Crack open the external drive enclosure, crack open the MacBook and swap the drives.

Done.

You can then put your old, smaller drive in the enclosure and after verifying everything is ok with the MacBook, format the old drive (now in the enclosure) and use it for whatever you like. Media, music, pron, your choice.

The instructions for replacing your drive are all online. It's really quite simple. But remember to use the latest version of Super-Duper if you're running Leopard. The old version will *NOT* work and you'll be left with a grey screen and a spinner at the end of the install.

Cheers.

MacBookJoePro

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
So... I have my original external hard drive? Take it apart? And put my MacBook hard drive in the external hard drive's case? and it should work?
I hope I'm understanding you correctly..

Yes.. But the external hard drive must have SATA connection. SATA connection is what your Macbook Hard drive uses. If your external HDD is not SATA then you cannot put your Macbook HDD in the external.

And yes, you can use a USB external drive. The new Macbooks will even allow you to install to an external drive.

-JoE

nerdeus

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
I just did this last week so I speak with the voice of experience.

I bought an external 250Gb drive (mine was FW but it doesn't matter it can be USB).

Using the latest version of super-Duper (free, but if you're running Leopard, make sure you get the latest one, the earlier one doesn't work).

Plug in the external drive and run Super-Duper, backing up the whole drive to it and making it the bootable drive when it's finished (that's a Super-Duper option).

When it's finished, shut everything down and unplug it all.

Crack open the external drive enclosure, crack open the MacBook and swap the drives.

Done.

You can then put your old, smaller drive in the enclosure and after verifying everything is ok with the MacBook, format the old drive (now in the enclosure) and use it for whatever you like. Media, music, pron, your choice.

The instructions for replacing your drive are all online. It's really quite simple. But remember to use the latest version of Super-Duper if you're running Leopard. The old version will *NOT* work and you'll be left with a grey screen and a spinner at the end of the install.

Cheers.

then I'm assuming I need to make sure that my external hard drive that I have right now can be placed into my MacBook before I start..

I don't need to go and buy an extra internal hard drive? What if I DO buy an additional INTERNAL hard drive? Can I just place that in my existing EXTERNAL hard drive's enclosure? Or do I need to buy an enclosure separately.

(THANKS to all for replying!)

nerdeus

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Yes.. But the external hard drive must have SATA connection. SATA connection is what your Macbook Hard drive uses. If your external HDD is not SATA then you cannot put your Macbook HDD in the external.

And yes, you can use a USB external drive. The new Macbooks will even allow you to install to an external drive.

-JoE

Oh ok.. Well, I don't think my existing external hard drive is SATA.. So I guess I'll buy an internal drive online somewhere that's SATA.

So my qusetion is, when I buy this internal drive, can I use my existing external hard drive's enclosure? or do I need a SATA specific enclosure? (I don't know how hardware works... so I just need to ask all the qeustions I can since you're all so knowledgeable and helpful!)

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
Oh ok.. Well, I don't think my existing external hard drive is SATA.. So I guess I'll buy an internal drive online somewhere that's SATA.

So my qusetion is, when I buy this internal drive, can I use my existing external hard drive's enclosure? or do I need a SATA specific enclosure? (I don't know how hardware works... so I just need to ask all the qeustions I can since you're all so knowledgeable and helpful!)

Your MacBook requires a SATA drive. So you need to buy one of those.

If you want to reinstall Leopard and all your applications, rather than take a copy of your current system, then you don't need an external drive at all. You can just buy an SATA internal drive, pop it in your MacBook and restart with the Leopard CD, doing a fresh install of everything.

If you want a copy of your existing system, you will need a SATA drive for in your MacBook, and an external hard drive enclosure that is SATA internally and either FW or USB externally.

Then you can follow the instructions I posted earlier.

Cheers.

MacBookJoePro

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006

You will need a SATA specific enclosure.

The only way to know if your external is SATA is by looking on the box or physically opening it up. When you open it up look at its connector, a SATA connector would be a very small rectangular shaped thing thats black and its kinda like in an L-shape. If its a Large rectangular connector with many holes in it, then it is NOT a SATA hard drive/enclosure. You would then need to buy a new enclosure.

Some companies, hitachi or seagate or western digital, portable enclosures use SATA hard drive, but there is no guarantee as far as i know that they will be SATA hard drives inside. Perhaps someone else can fill you in on which portable enclosures will have SATA Hard drives in them.

-JoE

nerdeus

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007

The only way to know if your external is SATA is by looking on the box or physically opening it up. When you open it up look at its connector, a SATA connector would be a very small rectangular shaped thing thats black and its kinda like in an L-shape. If its a Large rectangular connector with many holes in it, then it is NOT a SATA hard drive/enclosure. You would then need to buy a new enclosure.

Some companies, hitachi or seagate or western digital, portable enclosures use SATA hard drive, but there is no guarantee as far as i know that they will be SATA hard drives inside. Perhaps someone else can fill you in on which portable enclosures will have SATA Hard drives in them.

-JoE

Well i've been planning on buying a different hard drive anyway cuz my current external harddrive is still too small for what I want my actual computer to be. I'm planning on buying a 320GB. So I found one on newegg.com (Western Digital SATA Notebook internal ddrive) for $179. And then I guess I'll just buy an enclosure. Would finding a SATA External HardDrive be cheaper? easier?

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.

-JoE

I bought a MacAlly PHR-S250CC last week.

It's SATA internally and has USB and FW. It doesn't need any external power either which is really nice as it cuts down on cable clutter.

Cheers.

nerdeus

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
I bought a MacAlly PHR-S250CC last week.

It's SATA internally and has USB and FW. It doesn't need any external power either which is really nice as it cuts down on cable clutter.

Cheers.

THANKS!

btw, MacBook drives are 2.5" correct?
I looked at the MacAlly and am comparing with other enclosures? Is it cuz it's a FW-able that it's $10-20 more expensive than others?

And if I'm buying internal hard drives... what specs am I looking for?
2.5"
how many RPMs?
SATA-300? or SATA-150?
Latency?
Cache?

vanmacguy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Not where you live.
THANKS!

btw, MacBook drives are 2.5" correct?
I looked at the MacAlly and am comparing with other enclosures? Is it cuz it's a FW-able that it's $10-20 more expensive than others?

And if I'm buying internal hard drives... what specs am I looking for?
2.5"
how many RPMs?
SATA-300? or SATA-150?
Latency?
Cache?

It is a little more expensive due to the FW interface, yes.

They are 2.5". The faster the drive, the better. I could only get a 5400 rpm drive unfortunately, we're less 'advanced' in Canada in some ways, if you can get a 7200 rpm drive, that is better.

Not sure about SATA-300 or 150, I don't know what that means.

And I don't know about Latency or Cache settings either.

Cheers.

MacBookJoePro

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2006
let the debates begin....especially with the 5400 vs 7200

Haha.. no no no no. lol Lets not. Just get what you need or whats cheaper. I believe the 320 GB ones come in 5400 RPM anyways so.. if you want the max then just put down the money and get that one. As MacDann stated earlier, Bestbuy is currently having a sale on these for $149 if you are in the US. Just get any drive thats 2.5 inches and SATA interface. Wester Digital is a great company also.

Latency pertains to how fast the HDD access's the info on the HDD. Cache is sorta like Ram for the hard drive, in short more of that is better haha. Let us know if you got any more questions.

-JoE

Neil321

macrumors 68040
It is a little more expensive due to the FW interface, yes.

They are 2.5". The faster the drive, the better. I could only get a 5400 rpm drive unfortunately, we're less 'advanced' in Canada in some ways, if you can get a 7200 rpm drive, that is better.

Not sure about SATA-300 or 150, I don't know what that means.

And I don't know about Latency or Cache settings either.

Cheers.

Sorry yes i know about the 5400 vs 7200, but its gotta be said the WD 320GB
is nearly as fast as the smaller 7200 drives due to the density of its platters
not only that its also down to the amount of data on the drive.Try looking
it up on wikipedia

nerdeus

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2007
Haha.. no no no no. lol Lets not. Just get what you need or whats cheaper. I believe the 320 GB ones come in 5400 RPM anyways so.. if you want the max then just put down the money and get that one. As MacDann stated earlier, Bestbuy is currently having a sale on these for $149 if you are in the US. Just get any drive thats 2.5 inches and SATA interface. Wester Digital is a great company also.

Latency pertains to how fast the HDD access's the info on the HDD. Cache is sorta like Ram for the hard drive, in short more of that is better haha. Let us know if you got any more questions.

-JoE

I'm at the Best Buy site right now and I'm looking at two different Western Digital 320GB..
Model: WDH1CS3200N
or
Model: WDH1U3200N

which one is correct? I don't see any mention of SATA in the second one... so I'm hoping I'm starting to get it and guess that the first one is the one I want? is that the one that you're all talking about that's on sale?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.