Macbook Hard Drive upgrade effect on battery life.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkFlame, Dec 26, 2007.

1. DarkFlame macrumors regular

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136197

i am planning on just ordering this drive, paying 16 dollars less for 70gb of more space for my macbook. (And having a back up incase anything happens) =)

First I just wanted to insure compatibility and I want to know whether or not this voids the warranty.

Secondly I wanted to know if having a bigger drive is going to affect my batter life and if so how much? I know this is hard to quantify but any kind of input is created.

So 1, is it compatible, will it void my warranty, and how much will it affect my batter life?

Side note, I dont understand why anyone would buy apple ram and apple hard drives..

2. ab2650 macrumors 6502a

Should be, Not unless you break something while installing, Probably very little.

Because most people aren't willing to expose the innards of their computers. I somewhat understand with the MBP hard drive, but folks buying Apple RAM is a mystery to me.

3. masse macrumors 6502a

masse

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I went from a 60GB 5400 rpm to a 120GB 7200 rpm and I don't feel that I have a battery drain or noise/heat/fan problem. :)

5. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

I think technically it would void your warranty but it's likely that whatever Apple tech works on your computer down the road won't notice the new drive or know you did it yourself.

I doubt it will have much affect on battery life. I think a bigger difference would be noticed going from a 5400rpm to a 7200rpm drive.

People get Apple installed hard drives because they don't want to throw away their new $350 Apple Care or they don't feel comfortable doing it themselves. As for the RAM I think they are just ill informed.

6. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

Um, upgrading a Macbook (not MBP) drive does not void the warranty.

7. SubaruNation555 macrumors 6502

My mistake, yes the MacBooks have a user replaceable hard drive. I wish it was the same for the Pros, it's a nice thing to be able to do if you want/need to.