MacBook Hard Drive Upgrade - Which disks are compatible?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NN84, Apr 3, 2009.

1. NN84 macrumors newbie

Almighty macrumors forum.

I am upgrading the internal hard drive in my MacBook, which shipped about two years ago with 75 !! gb disk. I want my next drive to have as much capacity as possible, but I heard from some retailer today that I can only upgrade to 160 gb. I can't see the rational - as long as it is a standard 2.5 inch sata drive, the capacity shouldn't really matter, right? Computer gets the data exactly the same way over sata, whatever disk capacity. So I was thinking ... is it a heat issue? RPM issue? How much can a slower rpm actually slows down the performance? So many questions ... so little time before i foolishly spend my paycheck.

Serial number for my macbook is W8716CZ5WGL

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Any 2.5" 9mm SATA drive. Currently the biggest one is 500GB. I have a 7200RPM 320GB drive in mine. No heat, no noise.

3. TylerDurden130 macrumors member

Can you upgrade it if you have the AppleCare? Will it void this? What if something would break after I upgraded the hardrive, could I just swap out the bigger one for the original one to get it fixed? Would they be able to tell?

4. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Yes, you can; and no they won't. If you want, you could swap back, but it shouldn't matter.