macbook hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tildesley, Jan 11, 2009.

1. tildesley macrumors regular

hey guys

looking to replace the standard 120gb in my white macbook, i have seen a list of sata drives and noticed that there are standard size, 1/8, 1/6.

now ive confused myself and need help. what 'size' does a new white macbook take?

also recommendations on brands, re noise, etc, much appreciated.

thanks

JT

2. akbc macrumors 6502

Anything that says 2.5" SATA/II with 9.5mm thickness should do it.

3. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Brand recommendations: Western Digital and Seagate are the two biggest names to go for. Although I personally went with a Hitachi drive due to a good deal at the time.

Bear in mind that at the moment you can only get 7200rpm (fast) drives in sizes up to 320gb. For more storage, you can get 1TB or even more, but 500gb seems to be a good sweet spot for capacity vs price, but bear in mind these are 5400rpm (a bit slower, but its what the preinstalled drive speed is).

Also, if you go for the faster the drive, it could be more noisy and slightly more power hungry. These tend to be minimal these days, so it all depends if you require more speed or more storage.

4. tildesley thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, ive read previous threads and they talk about a 7200rpm 300gb being the same speed size as a 5400rpm 500gb when you start to fill them up.
    what akbc says i think makes sense, i guess just buy the standard size one.

i guess the WD option is Scorpio Blue.