Macbook hard drive upgrade

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by naserke, May 15, 2010.

1. naserke macrumors newbie

I want to upgrade my Macbook hard drive. Are there specific hard drives for Macbook I have to look for, or any hard drive of same size would work.

My Macbook info
    Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 1 GB

Hard drive info

Intel ICH8-M AHCI:

Vendor: Intel
    Product: ICH8-M AHCI
    Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
    Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported

FUJITSU MHY2120BH:

Capacity: 120.03 GB (120,034,123,776 bytes)
    Model: FUJITSU MHY2120BH

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do the 2.5", 12.5mm drives fit in the Macbook as well as the Pros?

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Any 2.5" HDD with a maximum height* of 9.5mm and an S-ATA interface is supported.

Use MRoogle to find hundreds of threads about updating your HDD on a MacBook.

5. naserke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. If I pick any SATA drive, do I have format it for Macbook. If yes, any suggestions on formatting.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

No, but most HDs are 9.5mm, only couple are bigger

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You have to format it to HFS+ but just boot off the install disk and select Disk Utility from Menu Bar and format it to Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

8. naserke thread starter macrumors newbie

I have to copy all my softwares and data from my old harddrive to new one. To do this, I have to format new hard drive before I install it so I can copy or clone my old hard drive to it. What would you suggest? Is it easy to format it before I install it?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

To do this, you need an enclosure, so put the new drive in the enclosure and use CCC to clone your old HD into the new one. Then install the new drive into the MacBook

10. naserke thread starter macrumors newbie

THANKS... I will try this. Since I am upgrading hard drive, I think will also upgrade RAM. Right now, I have 1gb RAM and I want to upgrade it to 4 gb. Which particular type of RAM do I need.

System Profiler RAM info
    BANK 0/DIMM0:

Size: 512 MB
    Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed: 667 MHz

BANK 1/DIMM1:

Size: 512 MB
    Type: DDR2 SDRAM
    Speed: 667 MHz

I tried to upgrade RAM last year. I bought two 2gb sticks from local store and installed it, but it didn't work. Macbook didn't work with new memory and I have to put old one back in. Any suggestions?

11. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/53IM2DDR4GBK/

12. naserke thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Hell Hammer. I appreciate your quick responses.

13. irrationalJohn macrumors newbie

My 3 cents worth on MB hard drive upgrades

As mentioned earlier you'll need some way to attach your new hard drive to your MacBook so you can copy/clone your current disk. An external enclosure attached via USB will work. Hard to recommend anything specific because there are LOTS of options there.

And don't assume you'll have to pay a lot for an enclosure ... unless you want to. ;-) It's possible to get a perfectly functional ... albeit ugly and perhaps not too durable ... 2.5" USB enclosure for a SATA drive for under $10. Shipped. Here's a link to some examples. (Just for illustration. NOT a recommendation. I don't know your situation well enough to go there.)

While many folks are really fond of Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) I also wanted to point out that if you have Leopard (OS X 10.5) or later on your MB, you don't need it just to migrate to a new drive. You can do it all with Disk Utility. (This is how I moved from the 160 that came with my MB to a 500 GB Hitachi about a year ago).

All you have to do is attach the new drive and then open Disk Utility and Restore the drive in your MB to the new new drive. Specify your current MB drive as the "source" and the new drive as the "target" of the restore. You don't have to format the new drive before the restore. It'll happen as part of the "restore" op. (In fact if the new/target drive is already formated, Disk Utility will ask you if you want to erase/reformat it).

FWIW, running Apples diagnostics against the drive before and after you install might not be a bad idea. While they aren't conclusive, they are better than nothing and if a drive is going to fail you'd want it to fail before you are really invested in using it, no?

One final note. While changing the hard drive is very easy, I think the hardest part of the process is finding/buying the right sized screw drivers to complete the task. Google around for online instructions for replacing the drive in your MB and get a consensus on what screw drivers you will need and then make sure you have them before you begin.

NOTE: Always handle a 2.5" drive by its narrow edges. :eek: Never squeeze or otherwise put any pressure on the flat, wide section of a drive. :eek: Compressing the platters and/or the drive heads is a risk not worth taking.

(I always wonder if the folks who are always complaining about their drives being DOA just didn't bother to handle them with the pragmatic gentleness you'd think anyone with 1/2 a wit would use. :rolleyes:)

-irrational john