Macbook hard drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ohemgeemad, Nov 20, 2011.

1. ohemgeemad macrumors newbie

When you're using your laptop, is the hard disk always spinning? I know that you aren't supposed to move your laptop until the sleep indicator turns on after you close the lid... But can you move your laptop to another room while the lid is up and you're still using it? Will that mess up the hard drive?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The hard drive is almost always spinning when the computer is on. While it isn't always the best idea, you can move your laptop when its one. If its gets bumped to hard, the Macbook will protect its hard drive by parking the head. If you must move it when its on, don't tilt it. Keep it level or on the same plane as when you started. The tilting motion has a higher chance of causing damage.

3. ohemgeemad thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh okay, thank you. So just a bump wouldn't be a big deal and the computer would protect itself? Or say if my lame sister was just lifting it up and down repeatedly, that's okay?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

5. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

It has a sudden motion sensor and a freefall sensor that will park the hard drive automatically. All HDDs also have some electronics trickery that allow the head to park when power is suddenly cut.

Basically, it's really hard to kill a modern hard drive unless you're sitting it on something with heavy vibration or toss it off a building.

6. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

You'll be fine...lol. Don't worry too much about moving around, I've been doing it for years and it's fine :S. I even use it while in the car lol.

7. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I turn my laptop sideways while it's on and never had an issue. :D

8. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

If you're careful, meaning gentle and smooth, you should have no problems.

9. ohemgeemad thread starter macrumors newbie