macbook hard drive?

caffeeneaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
what type is a macbook hard drive? And can it be upgraded? Because 60GB is just too small and i dont really have the backpack space for an external.

Thanks
Caffeeneaddict

fredsherbet

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2007
Hertford, England
but make sure it's no more than 9.5mm thick!

(Western Digital have just released a 320GB scorpio that will fit in the macbook. That's the largest capacity you can get)

caffeeneaddict

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 23, 2007
ok so after i get the hard drive home how do i get all my old stuff off the old drive?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
ok so after i get the hard drive home how do i get all my old stuff off the old drive?
Get a USB or Firewire enclosure for 2.5" SATA harddrives. Put the old drive in that and boot from it. Use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your old drive to your new internal one.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
As for replacing the hard drive itself, you can find full instructions on how to do it here.

It's a pretty simple and straightforward upgrade once you've had a good read through of the instructions, I've done it myself and it only took five minutes. Piece o' cake. ;)

Foxglove9

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2006
New York City
I bought a new hard drive for my MacBook and took it apart (yes it is easy), but I have no idea how to take the pull tab/shield thingy off the old drive and put it on the new one. Looks like it uses torx screws perhaps?

Anyone know where to get a screwdriver like that, and what size to ask for? Apple doesn't seem to cover that in their instructions. I wish I knew that before I backed up everything and took everything apart. Now I'll have to reback up some things when I get the screwdriver.

Also the screws on the metal bracket that hold the RAM are weak. It seems like one is already getting stripped on the head and I only took it off twice (once to replace RAM).

ruZZ.il

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2007
Israel
I think I remember doing it with a really little flat head.. or maybe it was a sharp knife at the right angle. anyway, if you're delicate enough, steady and and use precise placement, there's no specific need for a torx set.. although it will make it easier :p
-The Multi Purpose Kitchen Utensils Sales Man

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Torx 7, IIRC. (maybe 6) Buy a little set at Sears or your local DIY store like Home Depot. Shouldn't be much in the cash department. I like the precision screwdriver sets from Sears.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.