Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbracco

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I had a macbook that broke on me..

I got a new one and the Hard Drive from the old macbook still works..

I want to know what enclosure do I need to get to use my old hard drive.

Thanks!

Joey

jbracco

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
My Apple 120 GB hard drive that came in my MacBook is in that exact same case. I connect it to my PC via eSATA and my MacBook over USB 2.0.

Well since that hard drive has a Mac Os Version on it.. Can I boot to it also??

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
I bought this enclosure:
directron_1994_14395340

I have an extra 160gHD that I got out of a MBP that also has Leopard on it. I boot from it if I have to, but also use it as my TimeMachine destination.

It's small and sleek, and comes with a nice leather carry pouch. I like the utility of it as well.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I bought this enclosure:
directron_1994_14395340

I have an extra 160gHD that I got out of a MBP that also has Leopard on it. I boot from it if I have to, but also use it as my TimeMachine destination.

It's small and sleek, and comes with a nice leather carry pouch. I like the utility of it as well.
I have a question for you about that enclosure. Can you open it? I couldn't get the NextStar SX to open. I took it back to the store. :(

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
Of course I can open it! How else do you think I got the HDD in there?

It is a bit tricky...

The silver colored center is actually the chassis. The two black panels are just covers, both will come off.

There are two buttons near the base of the chassis. Push both of these in, and the black covers will slide off. They can be a bit stiff.

Hope this helps!:)

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I pressed down on the buttons on the side with no luck. I checked NewEgg and most users reported the same difficulty. I was barely able to slide off the top case but the bottom was impossible even with a putty knife.

It's not worth keeping it if it was that hard. :eek:

Thanks though. I just find the Vantec NextStar 3 2.5" to be a heck of a lot more accessible! It was only $3 more too.

Stokes

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2007
Or E Gun
Weird... I didn't research it at all.. I just walked into a Frys and bought it. I think it was $15, but it might have been $17. It also came with a USB cord that had two inputs... so you could get more power to it. Mine works fine using just one, but I guess it doesn't hurt to use both, especially since the second also has a passthrough so I can still use that USB port on my MB.

I guess I kinda figured that if it was a bit tight, or tough to take off, that's good. Keeps it a bit safer!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.