MacBook Hard Drives

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Skeletal-dæmon, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Skeletal-dæmon macrumors 6502

Okay I read in a thread that the MacBook battery is user replaceable.

So:

What is the maximum size HDD available for the MacBook? I know they take 2.5" SATA disks, but I don't know the bandwidth nor maximum size or optimum speed that the MacBook operates under.

Thanks in advance

Dæmon

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

The Western Digital drives are available up to 320GB in a 2.5"/9.5mm 5400rpm SATA in the Passport series - that's what I have in mine right now. Get a Passport drive, yank the HDD & swap it with the existing internal, then put the old internal in the Passport enclosure. Inexpensive, easy.

3. Skeletal-dæmon thread starter macrumors 6502

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

5. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Yup, 500gb and it works like a charm in my macbook :p

6. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

7. logana macrumors 65816

logana

Please tell us more - I have never had any problems with Western Digital.

8. Neil321 macrumors 68040

Neil321

i'd like to know more also as i've been using them for donkeys years & not had a serious failure yet & that includes external's

9. ManWithhat macrumors regular

WD is fine. Just because someone has had a bad experience with one doesn't mean they're horrible. Hardware defects are common when you're ordering parts from a digital store where they haven't been inspected before they're shipped to you.

10. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Never had a problem with mine and I've used them for years.

11. Yoda3984 macrumors member

Yoda3984

I agree. . .

I, too, have used nothing but WD hard drives for years (just replaced the stock MB hard drive, also). I haven't had a single one crash or fail on me. You'll find a bad egg or two in just about every company's products, but that doesn't mean the whole lot is bad.

12. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I'm 0/2 on WD desktop drives. The one notebook drive (that came with a MB that's now only a year and a half old) worked fine and still does in an external enclosure (it was replaced with a Samsung 320 gig drive six months ago). The reason I'll never buy another WD drive is because of their shi++y business conduct. One of my WD drives started acting up at 11 months. Their tech services had me reinitialize the drive and it worked fine for another 2 months, when it failed completely. I asked for a replacement, they refused because they said it failed at 13 months, not 11 months (1 year warranty). WD is the worst company I've ever dealt with when I comes to computer parts. They won't get another dime from me.

Choose your drive (and its company) wisely. For me, Samsung and Seagate are the companies that'll get my business.

13. hexonxonx macrumors 601

All drives can go bad and I have had just about one of every brand go bad including WD recently. I had a 250GB WD external start clicking one morning two years to the month of purchase. I had Seagate drives die without warning and Samsung drives die in just a few short months.

The fact is, the are hard drives and that is where the problem starts. They can fail a day after purchase regardless of what brand.

I have always just favored WD drives and have owned more than any other brand and because of that, I have had more of them fail. I just upgraded my new HP notebook to a WD 320GB drive that came with a 250GB Samsung.

With drives, there really are no bad brands since they all can fail anytime.

14. Skeletal-dæmon thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmm well a 500GB drive looks good, I took a look at the specs of the Samsung drive and I'll go up to my local tech shop and see if they can get me a good deal, they usually can.

Thanks guys (and gals)!