Macbook "hard" freeze

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by shaunb83, Dec 11, 2008.

1. shaunb83 macrumors member

Dear all,

Patient:

September 2007 model Macbook with 2 GB Ram, 2.16 GHz "white" model

Symptoms:

In the last month computer has begun hard freezing, clock stops, mouse freezes, no keyboard response. Only "solution" is to hard restart. Freezing behavior did not seem to correspond to any particular software install, or system update.

Initially thought to be response to getting to hot while sitting on users lap - installed iStat Pro and monitored heat at various sensors. Freezing occurs at anything from 40 to 80 degrees @ CPU A

Computer often will freeze is power is either plugged in, or, more commonly, is removed.

Computer sometimes freezes when moved onto "lap" of user. If system is restarted, it may freeze again within seconds/minutes of being restarted.

Computer appears almost completely stable when used on a desk, is not moved, and power is left in (which kinda part of the purpose of a laptop!)

Treatment so far:

Repair Permissions

Preset PRAM and NVRAM

Reset power controller (the turn off computer, remove battery, hold down power button for 10 seconds solution).

Deleted system, reformatted hard disk, reinstalled tiger from original disks, then leopard. Reinstalled user from Time Machine Backup. Updated to 10.5.4, the last time that I remember system was stable. Same behavior exhibited. Updated to 10.5.5. Same behavior. Patient's father is now displaying fever symptoms and is getting "hot under collar".

I'm getting a little fed up. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of not purchasing applecare. Given that the new macbooks were coming out, I didn't see any point in investing $300 into an old computer.....kinda regretting that now. Oh well....

Does anyone have any ideas of what it could be?

Is it worth buying a new battery? Could it be a power supply problem?

I haven't checked for a loose RAM chip yet.

I have copied and pasted the last crash from a few days ago here now. I am trying to crash the pesky thing at the moment, and it is refusing to cooperate! I am happy to send the whole crash report, but I don't know how much is required for diagnosis.

Thanks for any hints/solutions/suggestions.

Process: SystemUIServer [171]
    Path: /System/Library/CoreServices/SystemUIServer.app/Contents/MacOS/SystemUIServer
    Identifier: com.apple.systemuiserver
    Version: 1.5.4 (248.1)
    Build Info: SystemUIServer-2480100~15
    Code Type: X86 (Native)
    Parent Process: launchd [153]

Date/Time: 2008-12-08 16:55:37.554 -0800
    OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
    Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGBUS)
    Exception Codes: KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE at 0x0000000000000050
    Crashed Thread: 0

New observation. Just managed to cause a freeze while watching Youtube video. Just consulted crash reporter. There is NOTHING listed there, except for the crash that I reported above, from a few days ago. So I think that the error message above may be spurious. Not sure. How is it possible that there is nothing listed in the Crashreporter? In fact, there is nothing listed in the system.log file for the entire 20 minutes prior to the crash....where should I be looking in the Console to be finding everything that happened up to the crash occurring?

2. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Sounds bad. If I were you I would get my prostate examined, but that's just me.

Anyway, you've gone through the standard steps by reinstalling the OS. Is there a particular reason you installed Tiger and upgraded to Leopard? Most of the problems I've seen/had with Leopard are from upgrading as opposed to a fresh install. However, as you did a fresh install of Tiger and then upgraded, and because of the freezing problems you're getting, I would count that out.

Have you installed RAM recently? Do you have any third party RAM installed? If so, take that out and try it. Hell, even if you have the stock, try running the machine with one of the sticks, and then the other to see if that could be an issue. Other than that, not much I can think of (other than nasty things you don't want to hear).

Searching for that KERN PROTECTION thing online, it seems kind of generic. Some people having it relating to an app crashing and deleting preference files to what you're experiencing.

If the battery was causing issues, you can always run the laptop without it while the machine is plugged in.

3. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Have you removed the ram that is in the unit? I have had countless macs come into get fix and the contacts on the ram are all white. Cleaning it with some isophyl alcohol does the trick nicely or if you don't have that a normal pencil eraser does just fine.