MacBook harddisk problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DavyC412, Nov 19, 2008.

1. DavyC412 macrumors member

I have a macbook, and the harddrive just died. the system wont boot, it only boots to a picture of a folder with a question mark underneath it. i took it to a apple certified repair and they told me it would cost hundreds of dollars to replace the HDD, but also said it uses any S-ATA 2.5'' HDD, so i found one for 60 bucks and a way to swap it out.

the question is that if the HDD has physically failed, then would it be possible to slave the drive to another mac so i can try to back up as much data as possible. i have a tech guy here at work working on it, but if the drive has failed, and he cant get any data off it this way, is there a cheap alternative?

thanks
    Dave.

2. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

You can buy an enclosure and try....but no promises.

3. DavyC412 thread starter macrumors member

you mean to make a PC and just attach the HDD? the tech guy hooked it up to another mac via a S-ATA to USB cable, and said the drive was unreadable... im guessing this means the drive is toast and i wont be able to get anything off it then?

4. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

No, you can buy just a HD enclosure. But if the tech said the drive was toast you'll probably need a data recovery service of some sort.

5. DavyC412 thread starter macrumors member

yeah, thats what i figured... the stuff on the drive is important, but not important enough to spend the kind that kind of money to get it back.

thanks.