Macbook Harddrive Replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Macnificant, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Macnificant macrumors 6502a

I have a spring 2008 black macbook with a 250g hd and I was thinking about upgrading the harddrive to 500g or more if possible.

Coouple questions. Could this be easily done by myself?
    Is if worth it? Macbook runs like new just lacks the space need.

Any advice on online retailers who sell hds?

2. rkmac macrumors 6502

rkmac

Other than the battery, the Hard Drive is the easiest thing to replace. Many guides are available on the internet.
    Both OWC and Newegg seem to be quite popular places to buy HDD in the US.
    I can recommend the Seagate Momentus XT 7200RPM as it comes in a 500GB size and also will give you a bit of a speed boost.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

"Easy" depends on how technically savvy you are. That being said, hard drive replacements on the Macbooks are not particularly difficult.

Sounds like it's worth it, considering you "need more space." ...

Newegg.com

4. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

This is very easy to do on your own. I'd recommend buying a HDD from newegg.com as they have pretty good prices. I put a 500GB HDD in my white MacBook last year.

All you have to do is remove the battery. From there, you will see an L shaped metal bracket. Remove the screws from the bracket and you now have access to your HDD and your RAM (upgrade that at the same time if you'd like, I did). There is a tab to pull that ejects the HDD.

Here is the tricky part: The HDD is in a little chassis and you need a Torx 8 screw driver to remove the screws, so I hope you have one or know where to pick one up.

Remove the old drive, attach the new drive to the rails and slide it in.

Boot up the machine, insert your install disc, and then restore your machine from back up. That's it! Easy!

5. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was thinking about 1TB...do you guys think it would be better to go with 500g? Dont want to run out of space and have to do it again

6. Macnificant thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you need the Snow Leopard disc? I have the 2 disc that came with the macbook but cant find the Snow Leopard disc I bought last year.

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

1TB does not fit into your MacBook. The biggest you can get is 750GB. If you don't want to run out of space, then get the 750GB

You can clone the data from the current drive to the new drive. You need an ext enclosure to do this though