MacBook Harddrive Upgrade Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by markfc, Feb 21, 2008.

1. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Planning on doing another Harddrive upgrade on my MacBook.

Last time I just did a clean install of Mac OS X after.

This time I want to make a complete copy of the my MacBook Drive including if possible BootCamp Partition.

If I use CCC, will it copy everything and expand my mac volume to fill the rest of the new bigger disk while keeping my bootcamp volume?

Thinking about it, I'm not so worried about the Bootcamp volume but will ccc expand the volume to fill the new disk?

thanks

2. markfc thread starter macrumors 6502a

markfc

I can't be the first person to want to do this am I?

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I don't use Bootcamp (Parallels only) but using computer logic, I would think you could:

Clone your Mac drive and clone your windows drive independently.

Install the new drive, set up and partition it.

Move the Mac clone to the new Mac partition and likewise the windows one.

Sound right? -GDF

4. clindner macrumors regular

I don't use Bootcamp so I don't know if this would work, but I just upgraded to the 320GB WD drive via the great $149 deal at Best Buy for the Passport.

I plugged in the new drive via USB, booted from the Leopard install disk, and did a restore from Time Machine Backup in the Utilities menu. A hour or two later, I shut down the machine, cracked open the passport, put the new drive in the Macbook, booted up, and everything was perfect...

That's the most painless HD upgrade I can imagine...

5. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

That was the same process I did. Just remember to do a Software Update to get all the latest patches.

6. Dorv macrumors regular

Can you do something along those lines if you don't have a different drive to back up?

One of the by-products of buying the passports and swapping the drives is I'll now have a drive for time machine. I don't currently have one.

Can I partition of my current HDD and backup there?

7. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I used time machine to back up my internal HDD, then restored to my new 320WD drive.

8. clindner macrumors regular

If you are installing a larger hard drive, then the smaller old drive wouldn't really be suitable for a Time Machine backup drive. Sure, you could back up only a subset of your files, but the beauty of Time Machine is in the fact that it is a full backup of everything on your drive, and not only that, you get the bonus of a time history of files that are changed frequently.

So, if you have only the two drives, then you would install to the new drive, either connected externally or internally, then use migration assistant to pull your apps and settings from the old drive after you are up and running on the new drive.

Then, you are left with a 100 GB or so drive to back up a 300 GB drive, or whatever you actually have. the 100 GB will be fine so long as you aren't using more than 100 GB on the new drive. When you go above that, you won't have enough room on the drive to back up everything.