Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finnschi

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2008
Hamburg, Germany
My macbooks harddrive won'T turn off, I don't have any open applications , I even stopped Growl...

I Tried Restarting as well, and I usually didn'T hear my Harddive at all, now I can hear a little noise comming from the harddive, and it doesen't stop! I mean it sound Perfectly fine for a Harddive, but this thing should shut up, when i am not using the macbook... :confused: Any ideas, on how i Could "force" stop it, or any place to look where I can see if some application is stil accessing my Harddrive? :eek:

Thx in advance

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'm confused why you would want the HDD to stop…

Shut off or sleep your computer if you want the drive to stop.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
Yeah, so long as the computer gets power, it's always spinning...

This goes for any computer, so long as it's not falling (MBs have fall sensors to lock the platters in place)

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
oO why is there a option in power savings... "turn off harddrive when possible" :confused:

Interesting. I have it checked as well...heh, I guess it can freeze up the drive and restart it when needed...I didn't realize that.

As far as noise, mine's totally silent. If you have a unibody model, pop the bottom cover off, and make sure the screws holding the hard drive carrier are tightened all the way. (Judging by your sig, you have a unibody model)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.