macbook - harddrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bored911, Dec 31, 2007.

1. bored911 macrumors 6502

bored911

ok so awhile ago a changed the hdd in my macbook from a 80gb to a 250 gig. Now i can't move it without it freezing, and i'm inclined to think that it's the hdd. Now i'm in the middle of trying to change drives, but i can't get the 250 gig out. I've tried a bunch of stuff but i was wondering if you guys have any tips/suggestions?

2. lil' brudder macrumors 6502

well, if you are having trouble getting it out, it is possible that you seated it wrong in the first place which could be causing pressure in bad places so that when it is moved it makes the hard drive crash. If you get it out, try reseating it before tossing it.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You might want to see whether your HD is 9.5 mm in height.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

You should be able to pull the hard drive caddy straight out and remove. Did you swap the HDD caddy, when you swapped to the 250?
    If you are having great difficulties, you can remove the the keyboard. This will allow to see the HDD and remove it a little easier. There are 23 screws to remove the keyboard, keep track of them.

5. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Do new drives typically come with caddies? I'm wondering if I'll have to find a Torx T8 to strip the caddy from the MB drive and put it on a new one in order to install a fresh drive, or if new drives come with their own...

6. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

No

I've never seen a drive come with a caddy.

Sorry to hear about your struggles.

7. eman macrumors 6502a

You'll need to strip the caddy with a T-9 and T-8 will work to swap the HDD. Happy New Year everyone!